Why on board reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Marty, May 22, 2005.

1. Marty

Marty Member

As a two-rock custom owner I have a lexicon reverb in the loop. I wonder why folks would look for an amp with on board reverb over a well engineered loop interface and a studio quality reverb. Lexicon's, for example, can be had quite reasonably used.

Now I grew up using fender pro-reverbs and twin reverbs but...

What do you folks think?

-marty

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Because spring reverb sounds totally different to digital reverb.

Personally I can't stand the sound of digital reverb coming out of guitar speakers, I'll take old school cheesey spring 'verb any day.

That being said, none of my amps have reverb and I don't miss it, especially in a band situation.

3. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

a great tube driven spring reverb sounds different for one thing. I happen to prefer it on guitar because it sounds more integrated, less colored, than using a digital verb in the loop. Plus, it is always a pain in the ass hooking up extra units and than balancing the levels with outboard stuff, inputs,outputs,sends,returns, master,etc. It always seems to screw with the tone too much.
    I don't mind adding reverb to a guitar track in the studio, because then you have total control over it without affecting the pure guitar signal, plus it can be added in stereo, and you can use a real highend unit.
    I love the reverb on my invader, and the bogner shiva reverb is fantastic, as is the reverb on old deluxe reverb amps.

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I use both. And note that there are lots of studio quality springs out there (Demeter Real Reverb for one).

The main reason they originally put the reverb tank in the combo was convenience and portability.

But now there are several things that you do want a reverb in the combo for. One of them is interaction. Most people don't want this, but some people like it. These tend to also be the people who like the speaker shaking their tubes to get weird borderline microphonic effects so they like combos over heads.

The other thing is the stage effect known as the "reverb gong". We used to have one in a version of "Planet Claire" where I would do a head butt to the reverb tank of my Farfisa Compact Duo (which we put on the top where it was more or less at head level). The reverb gong is not an over used effect because most people realize it's high cheese content.

5. Marty

Marty Member

Say Splatt,

Are the techniques you mention proprietary? Can/will you share your ideas?

-marty

6. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Because my Brunos reverbs are the best I have ever heard. :)

7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I hate to say it, but he's right! any chance Tony would come out with a dedicated reverb? If it were less than $1k, I'd bite...

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Spring reverb is more akin to an effect, really, than a truly accurate reproduction of what natural reverb sounds like in a room. And it's my favorite effect by far. I've never heard an accurate reverb intended to model a real room that I ever truly liked for a guitar amp - just my personal preference.

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Me too; the one exception I have to this is the Eventide preset "Sock Factory" which is a model of a room I was familiar with. It was not a good room for a studio, and they eventually moved the studio to a good sounding room. But it was a long-ish mostly rectangular box shaped room with some resonances. I don't know whether it's because I remember that room or whether it's an interesting reverb for a guitar amp but I like that one.

I think most times they model a room they model a good room.

10. gsf

gsf Member

Thanks, splatt for the last post. Organised and well tweaked. I like the larger spaces' algorithms myself, even if shortened.