Why ?? Roland Chorus amp ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Norjef, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Played 2-12" old Roland Stereo Chorus (120?) at church rehearsal room yesterday. Clean vintage Kinman Strat.
    Sounded AND felt CRAZY-GOOD !! And I have a late 60's Dual Showman Reverb head as my clean "standard"
    Scooped mids, quack, not sterile - kinda retro-disco meets new-age quasi-acoustic sounds. Big, gnarley looking (like me). WHY did it kick my (clean) butt ???

2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

'cause the Roland JC-120 is a great amp for cleans?

3. Norjef

Norjef Member

Just stunned by HOW good twas. Even felt tubular bouncy and un-solid-state.

4. teemuk

teemuk Member

They vary wildly, though. The older ones can be very warm and "tube like". The "newer" (post 1979/82) ones are much more sterile and harsh. The distortion effect (though hardly anyone uses it) also varies widely ranging from piss poor to decent and even the "vibrato" effect can have great difference, being either the same as chorus effect on fixed settings or having an entirely different vibe than the chorus. Oh, and the employed speaker model has changed at least three times during the history of the model.

It's sort of a shame that Roland kept selling them in the same package although some circuit revisions and changes would warrant selling the thing as an entirely different amp.

...So, kinda begs the question: what year JC-120 was it?

5. Norjef

Norjef Member

good question regarding age - this one sounded and responded SO well that I'm betting it's an OLD one. I will investigate further - heck, I don't even know who owns it. Been just hanging at rehearsal room for past couple of years

6. shane88

shane88 Member

:agree

7. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Turn off the chorus and you can really detect the SS crumminess. They sound pretty good though w/ the chorus on slow, IMO.