Why? Seriously...Why?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Bogner, May 10, 2016.

1. Bogner

Bogner Member

Why do people post videos of new pickups or tubes or cables, anything really....and not have a proper A/B comparison? It makes zero sense. A proper comparison and before and after will help a lot more. I am looking for some new pickups for a few guitars and thought I would look at some vids and read some reviews and all you get in guitar wankery about how my new pickups sound. How about what you had in there and how those sounded and then a contrast with your new pickups??? Rant over... :)

DV52 likes this.
  2. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Very difficult to do proper A/B tests, plus they often don't say what people want them to say.

3. Thinsocks

Thinsocks Supporting Member

Because often people have A but not B. Or they just don't have that kind of time.

4. Bogner

Bogner Member

How is it difficult? Play the same riffs on the same setting in the same guitar and video or record it then switch pickups and do the exact same riffs and setting again so you can hear it.

It is useless to say and do a video or recording and simply go "check out my new pickups. Don't they sound different? What can you compare them with if there is nothing to compare them with? Makes no sense to me.

marvin cobain and DV52 like this.
  5. Bogner

Bogner Member

Stock pickup in guitar....new pickups for said guitar....demo both options (stock and new). I am NOT talking about demoing 8 different pickups in the same guitar.

DV52 likes this.
  6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Very difficult to play the same thing, the "exact" same way, twice, particularly when a half hour or so has passed for you to swap the components.
    Changing pickups, for example, often means changing strings.
    Slight variances in pickup height for the same set of pickups can result in significant sonic differences. If new pickups are overall of a different output level, matching the old pickups height may not really be the comparison you want to make.
    Etc.

That's before you even get into temperature/humidity variances in the room between the two tests, nudging the microphone by mistake without noticing and attributing the difference to the pickups, etc.

Double-blind A/B/C testing is the way to go, but very very difficult to do with instruments. Much easier, but still not easy, to A/B things downstream of the guitar--pedals, cables, amps, speakers, tubes, etc.

Not Through Yet likes this.
  7. Bogner

Bogner Member

You are making this way too difficult...lol. Nice work! It doesn't have to be as difficult as you make it sound. Old beater PRS SE have stock pickups in it. Play your basic crazy train riff a couple times through. Install a different pickup and play Crazy train again. I don't care if the recordings are professional, if it is sunny outside, what the humidity level is, how many lights are on in the room, etc. Just as long as it is the same person playing the same riff on the same amp with the same setting using one pickup and then another. That alone would give me enough of an idea if that new pickup is something worth considering. I get that there are other variables but those are small in comparison to what I am referring to.

8. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Oh, in that case: the new thing always sounds better.

9. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

The one that bugs me is the amp demos with so much effects on it that you can't hear the amp, but no A/B is pretty useless also.

ZeyerGTR likes this.
  10. Bogner

Bogner Member

True on the amp thing. Play it dry, run through what it can do and make that the meat of the point. In the end if you want to add something to show the loop quality and or to demo how it sounds with effects then that is cool but that should be a small amount of the demo.

11. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

We look forward to your review when you settle on a pickup

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  12. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Clips are next to useless for judging gear. If you think you can tell the difference between a Dimarzio PAF and a Lollar PAF from a clip your kidding yourself.
    Nothing more than entertainment.