Why should I buy a Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jhansenku, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Emigre

Emigre Member

It's all in the music that you play.

The sound of the single coil strat is not so heavy and personally I find it much better than HB's when there's lots of effects, as it tends to cut through and remain defined and not get muddy. I like to use a good clean amp -- it sounds amazing straight into a Fender -- or just pile on effects, fuzzes, distortions, modulations, delays.

Also beats HB's when playing rapid staccato funky rhythms -- clean or overdriven (but not high gain). It's snappy and responds fast.

For high gain and hard rock HB's into a channel switcher work better imo, though obviously lots of players make a strat work in almost any setting.

In my mind,
    - Strat straight into a clean amp: sparkly clean bliss
    - Strat through a pile of pedals into a clean amp: lots of creative options or dense mixes without getting muddy
    - HB into channel switcher: straight overdriven rock & metal

2. Jaguar

Jaguar Member

I think here ^ it is. I have a Jazzmaster, Jaguar and a H/H Revstar. With the Sergio Vallin strat I got recently, I had to get used to it. I felt I had to learn to play it and it brings so many nuances out of the way you play. I agree that it might be the most expressive guitar (as in reacting very sensitive the way you play it). Maybe that's why 'the masters' on guitar gravitate to the stratocaster for it brings out your playing in every nuance. I love jazzmasters and jaguars the most but with having the strat I started to understand it's wide appeal. It is something.... it's a guitar but most of all a 'musical instrument' for expressing yourself, it brings out 'you' more than other guitars I think. That's it's magic I guess. It's something special, the strat is in some ways more challenging (in a good way) than most other guitars out there. It takes a little bit more of you so you can give more of who you are in return.

3. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

If you have to ask the question, you probably shouldn't.

mschafft and mattmccloskey like this.
  4. tele1951

tele1951 Supporting Member

I love the looks/ergonomics, and playability of strats. I struggle with getting enough balls from one.
    I struggle with the sound although the in-between positions are unique.
    That being said, I'll always have one and have 2 currently.

5. Metalmike117

Metalmike117 Member

IMHO If you are coming from LP's and humbucker equipped guitars the 3 single coils will be tough. I came from 20 years of all LP style guitar and fell head over heals for a Luke III musicman and the strat body and single coils split options and fell in love. Then went through a tirade of strat purchases and ended up with a Players Series HSH strat and It's 700$ and awesome.

However 2 points that have been brought up that we should highlight.

1) Get something with a coil tap for the bridge pickup.
    2) Strat setups suck out loud and if you don't have the patience for this, run. I have repaired hundreds of guitars and set them up for a music store and Strats make me barf all over myself. However when done right they are more versatile than anything out there.

6. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

In case anyone missed this. Good for you, OP! Enjoy your new Strat!

jhansenku likes this.
  7. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

That's because the board planing on the USA line is awful and has been for ...ever. If you hog the frets or better, refret it and plane the board properly, they set up wonderfully. Go in eyes wide open. I have seen mexi and MIJ strats where the board and fretwork was great, but not consistently.

8. SteveCritt

SteveCritt Member

To me they are the hardest guitar to play hands down. It's a constant battle but that's why they are so awesome. Once you figure it out, really figure out, nothing comes close. The attack on a strat just stings.. hard.. gives me goose bumps everytime.

Mike_it_up and Mad John like this.
  9. Mad John

Mad John Member

I think that the Stratocaster is the most difficult model - electric guitar to get right. There is always something to change on it , unless it came perfect for you , first time around. I have 6 of them (technically 8 - longer story.) My 2 Eric Johnson strats are pretty much perfect (I did swamp out original PUs in my Rosewood EJ for Klien 1962's. I am a Gibson man from way back , so Strats are always a compromise. The whole - neck/fret thing is weird on strats, compared to Gibsons (scale length , etc.) I would never just play only a Stratocaster , or record with that style guitar. It always needs a sturdy , beautiful real traditional guitar , like a 335 or LP IMO. :)

10. Brooks

Brooks Member

I also tried and failed to like playing strats for years, until
    1) got one w/ a neck I liked (wide/flat/big frets),
    2) got one w/ a bridge bucker (anyone who prefers the classic look of SSS yet needs hard rawk tones has GOT to try a DiMarzio Super Distortion S)

11. GenoVox

GenoVox Member

Because it's the greatest electric guitar ever, that's why... and everybody should own/play one at some point

Yeah, I said it.... :D

VaughnC likes this.
  12. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Don't take this as a personal criticism, because I see this a lot, but my experience went the other direction. I was super frustrated with my Strat when I was trying to get those heavy bridge tones out of it. Once I realized its magic is on the neck pickup, the in-between positions, and using the middle and bridge to cut for solos or certain rhythm parts, I learned to love it finally.

It was always my favorite guitar because of how it played. When I just let it be a Strat, it started moving more toward something I could truly love. When I set it up like a 50s Strat with a non-RWRP middle, low wind 50s pickups and traditional wiring, I figured it out entirely. It's an amazing guitar now.

Mine's an EJ Strat, so I started with the tone wired to the bridge pickup, hotter bridge, mixed pickup set, RWRP middle -- everything everyone says is an "upgrade." I had to devolve it back to what it's supposed to be in order to understand it. Once I did, I wondered why Eric Johnson and Fender went and goobered up everything that makes it special.

13. twotone

twotone Member

I like a Strat for playing chords and a Les Paul for playing solos.

14. Brooks

Brooks Member

I totally agree that the magic is in the neck and in between positions!

But,
    if you are playing 80s and 90s heavy rock cover gigs, you won't get enough uummphh w/ a classic single coil in the bridge. I can split my SD-S bridge pup for those great position 4 quack tones, but don't have to reach for another guitar when we do a heavy tune. My partscaster is now my most versatile guitar, I use it on hard rock, jazz, and country gigs.

David Garner likes this.
  15. Mike_it_up

Mike_it_up Member

I recently just bought one. Like you, I have always had hum bucker guitars, I did have a Mexican strat 8 or so years ago, but I really didn't like it, even though it had everything I thought I wanted, sadly we didn't bond..

I too got the GAS itch, to have that special sound that only a single coil can do, and spoiled myself.
    I basically bought it as a tool (sound) in my arsenal that I didn't have. Guitars for rock/metal, and blues/clean guitars. Turns out it's completely changed my life. My practise regime, my tone, my sound, my technique.

I'm mostly a high gain distortion, all the time kind of player, now I find myself on the clean channel with a bunch of reverb, basically relearning how to play on the clean channel....

In the short time I've had it, 6 months or so, it's definitely made me a better player, and opened a lot of doors, both sonically and physically. One of my most favourite gear acquisitions ever!

My advise is to try a lot of them, make sure it's the "right" one for you