• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why should I not get a Swart AST Pro?

Pale Rider

I've been wanting a great small, grab and go amp for awhile-
I use a 1973 Fender Pro Reverb and mainly a Hex Amps Model T clone,
but I'd love a club and back friendly option-
also one good for home recording-

I occasionally still chase Neil Young's Dead Man tone, and the Swart seems to have a bit
of tweediness to it-love Buddy Miller too, so...

Any major issues from users/owners?

Optimus Rhyme

There is absolutely no reason not to get one. I recommend the Greenback Heritage 55Hz speaker in it for a more vintage sound. May be a little loud for home recording, unless you don't have any problems recording loud at home.

wookiefoot

Platinum Supporting Member
I love the sound of these but I could never get over the controls being in the back of the amp. Sure you don't mess with them a ton, but depending on where you place the amp, it could be a PIA to adjust.

That's the only reason I can come up with.

drpoyer

I was never able to get a
swart (combo) to hang in a power trio playing at reasonable volumes. The tone was solid, the amp was responsive but like the 80s super champ the cab size just does not do the amp justice.

I Never noticed how lost in the mix it was till I had someone sit in while I webt out front. Then I realized that It just couldnt hang without a bigget cab. Very boxy and thin sounding with no cut in the mix. In the end I kept the super champ and run it with a 2x10 cab and its internal 10. This flexibility Works great for live, studio or home use. I suspect the swart would benefit from the same approach.

e???

The one I tried was like a Fender with the bright switch on. Hated it. Look to Victoria for tweeds, they build some really great stuff

Pale Rider

Thanks.

I'm not looking for a tweed really, more a sweet swirly 3D amp-
I love the reverb & trem of these amps-

I've had great AC15s, a Victoria Regal II,an old Princeton Reverb, and a 5E3, but I just want a small, all-in-one kind of thing-

I'd get another Princeton Reverb, but my Pro Reverb gets the most beautiful "Fender" tone, so I want
something for a bit of variety-something more Supro-y

Heinz W

Genuine '66 Relic
Platinum Supporting Member
"Bright" is not a word I would use to describe the Swart sound.

I concur about the 55hz speakers. My friend has a 2x12 loaded with them and it sounds great with my SST. The Swart cab with Greenbacks sounds great too.

To the OP, the only reason against getting an AST that I can see is what drpoyer said, it may not hang in a full band situation.

minjason

If you're looking for "sweet swirly 3D," the AST Pro does that in spades. I agree with the above poster that "bright" is not a word I would use to describe the Swart sound...it would be hard to characterize it as a tweed or a blackface...it's somewhere in the middle (maybe closer to a brownface Fender if I had to categorize)...it has a much more mid-focused sound than you would get with a traditional blackface but tighter than most tweed deluxes I've played when driven. I actually think it might complement the tones you get from your Pro Reverb very well. I sold mine because I wanted a little more headroom, but for recording and small gigs, the amp was stellar.

SFT

I have a Swart AST Pro that I might be putting up for sale. In a unique surf green/blue tolex. Love it, just have more amps than I can play these days and am in need of funds for another guitar purchase.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
I've owned tweed-ish amps in the past (Tungsten Crema Wheat) and silverface/blackface amps (Vibrolux Reverb and Super Reverb) and the Swart AST Pro is definitely a mix of the two. As mentioned above, you're looking at more of a blackface amp with more mids (I've never owned a brownface era Fender, but I've gathered that's essentially what they are). The tightness of the bass is welcome (if you've ever owned a vintage Fender, it's not easy keeping the bass together - it's usually pretty flubby). With the Gold, it does have a nice shimmer/chime to the treble when completely clean, but with enough volume it starts to get a bit of hair and it becomes less pronounced. This is my first 6V6 equipped amp and I "get" why people like them so much. It's a very rich and sweet sounding tube, not very edgy or harsh and the Swart truly is a very 3D sounding amp and it's the exceptional reverb that helps so much with that.

I haven't gigged with it yet, but hope to in a few months. The amp is pretty small, but the AST Pro is a bit bigger than the original AST and should project a little better. The headroom concerns are probably more directed towards the Pros with less efficient speakers because I have an AST Pro Gold which came with a Celestion Alnico Gold stock and found it gets really loud while still holding together up to around 1 o'clock.

For smaller gigs I could see it working quite well, but for loud gig environments I'd question how well it'd hold up without being mic'd. That's not a knock on the amp, just a realistic observation given the size (1x12'') and wattage (20w w/ (2) 6V6s).

ArtDecade

It doesn't sound like a Blackface Fender Bassman. I like the Blackface Fender Bassman. That's why I don't have a Swart.

Pale Rider

Thanks-

I've only played one brownfaced Fender, and it was great-this seems like it might give me
some of the mids I love from say, an AC15, but everything, plus better bass response than your average vintage Fender

I EQ with more bass in my sound-tend to use neck pickups a lot, so it all sounds cool-
(play mainly Jazzmasters/Teles, an EGC, a Hammertone Octave 12...)

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
I dig mine. It is uber portable.

To my ears, it is "less to much less tweedy' than my STR-Trem.

It is great for recording.

The controls being in back can be painful unless you're using pedals.

For cutting, pedals can be of great value.

The headroom/volume issues are real depending on what you're trying to do.

[just mike it]

Note: it doesn't seem like a "power trio" sort of amp regardless.

Pale Rider

I think I'd ice a different amp in a band situation, or mic it live-

More for solo /home & recording work.

And I do use pedals, normally utilizing the clean platform idea

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
If you like the "Swart tone," then you're likely good.

Appreciating/integrating your posts, I would also check out the STR-Trem.

It's tweedy and has top-mounted controls.

Trending Topics