Why So Few Neck Thru?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Handmade Music, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

I prefer neck-thru guitars. I know, I know... not everyone's cup of tea.
    I wonder why there are so few neck-thru guitars out there.
    And, the ones I find are either super expensive, super cheap, or super hair metal.
    Am I missing something?
    Does anyone know a manufacturer of decent, mid-range, none hair metal, neck-thru guitars?

Devin, TrueFifth, Roe and 2 others like this.
  2. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

Ibanez made a lot of them back in the late ‘70’s before they settled on “shred” guitars.

gerg6, fretless, wetordry and 3 others like this.
  3. Benz2112

Benz2112 Supporting Member

Kind of a vague request, there are Ric's and Firebirds if you are looking for a classic design. Otherwise, yeah you will tend to see more modern style instruments sporting a neck thru design. I have owned a couple of neck thru guitars, and they are just not my thing tonally.

BobbyJames and Roe like this.
  4. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

You can get some exceptionally nice MIJ, MIK and MII neck thrus in the $800-$1200 range new or used these days from Jackson, ESP LTD, and Schecter, although they are generally metal oriented. Definitely not all "hair metal" guitars, though. There are some with very nice natural finishes and picksups are easily changed.

Most of my top guitars are neck thrus, although I consider it essential to also have some bolt on and set neck guitars.

Too bad it's hard to find very good medium priced B.C. Rich neck thrus, but they are out there, especially the NJ Classic series. My modded Eagle is one of my favorite guitars, regardless of price. :beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

seantk, pepedede, gerg6 and 12 others like this.
  5. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

The Musician series! They are great. I could (should) have picked one up about 10 years ago for $600. Now they go for $1500.

fretless, shane8, nowhere and 2 others like this.
  6. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

What I really want is an Alembic.
    Maybe someday...

7. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

Beautiful! What is it? A B.C. Rich Eagle? I want one!

8. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

BC Rich Eagle NJ Classic.

9. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

10. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

A bit out of my price range, though.

11. MkIII Renegade

MkIII Renegade Member

You can probably get a stock one for about $500 and it is quite good. I spent more than that in addition to the purchase price to upgrade basically everything, and it can now hang with some heavy hitters. Point being that I knew the guitar was worth upgrading and keeping forever. Very nice wood and tones.

An original USA Eagle with equivalent features would sell for about $3000-$5000! :mob

12. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

13. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

NJ Classics are about $500 used.

14. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Maybe because bolt-on and set necks necks are easier and thus, less expensive

wire-n-wood, derekd, Don A and 3 others like this.
  15. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

I'd like to have one for the smooth neck heel.

[​IMG]

16. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

That is a BC Rich. A so-called “hair metal” brand. Doesn’t look so out there does it?

All the talk of metal guitars, country guitars is a bunch of hog wash in my opinion. They all have tuners, frets, strings, a neck, a body, and pickups. Guitars are more versatile than most people give them credit for.

Put hard angles on a guitar and suddenly it is a “metal guitar”. Put a three color burst on a guitar and you have a “country guitar”. It is about the optics and little else.

As for neck throughs, I suspect that they are riskier to build. If the build goes bad on a neck through you have lost the entire guitar. If a bolt on build goes bad you only lose the body or the neck.

I have also talked to luthiers who have said that 99 times out of 100 when a guitar with a broken neck comes in for repair, it is a neck through or set neck.

Then there is demand. If there were demand, I have to believe builders would fill that demand... for a price of course.

Jackson Soloists are great guitars and are neck through and the only thing “metal” about them is the angular headstock. Charvel or Jackson might be willing to build you a Custom Select neck through with a strat style headstock. There are other builders with some neck through offerings.

17. Handmade Music

Handmade Music Member

Point taken.
    I guess my problem with "metal" guitars is that most of them are Floyd Rose equipped. Not my cup of tea.
    I actually own two neck-thrus. One is a tele style from Raven West. I've modded the bejesus out of it.
    The other is a Raven (pre Raven West) super strat with a Floyd Rose. It would be a keeper if it were a hardtail.

18. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

There are TONS of neck thru guitars from various manufacturers at all price points. Carvin/Kiesel, Schecter, Jackson, Agile, Charvel, list goes on and on. If you give us an idea of what you’d like to pay, we could probably be of more help :)

Zeegler, shane8 and sxcustom like this.
  19. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

So what you mean is that you don’t like floating tremolos?

A Floyd Rose is really nothing more than beefy version of Leo Fenders original design with locking saddles added.

The locking nut is not part of the tremolo, though people think of the Floyd Bridge and locking nut as a single unit.

You can have a Floyd bridge with a standard nut, as seen in the Charvel Guthrie Govan signature model. You can also have a stock Fender fulcrum tremolo with a locking nut. The rules only exist in our minds.

Literally the only difference between a Floyd and every other floating tremolo on the planet is the locking saddle. Don’t believe me? Check out what John Suhr has to say on the topic:
    Not trying to bust your chops. But really it is hard to have a conversation like this one when such misconceptions are hanging out there.

It is just amusing (and frustrating) to no end to watch people regularly say things like “I want a gotoh because I don’t like Floyds” while you are left in utter amazement thinking “they are the same thing: Floating tremolos!!!”. Really the way that Gotohs are being made to have tuning stability is by installing them “decked” on the body. You can deck a Floyd too... EVH was the first to do it... with a quarter.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

That’s the ones I was thinking about. Ibanez really had their game face on in those days.