Why so many guitars with a tremolo, but yet you rarely ever hear one used?

Earl Foote

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know, I see/hear them used all the time, particularly when you consider the Floyd Rose equipped guitars. The Fender tremolos are good for slight bends down. I'll sometimes really push mine hard (strat) at the end of the last song on a set, because I know it will be out of tune when I'm done. :)

Ozone Baby

I think there are three types of floating bridge users:

1- People who have fully integrated it into their style (Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, Michael Lee Firkins, Scott Henderson, etc)

2- People who use it just for a little vibrato or shimmer on chords. (A lot of the time you wouldn't even know they are using it because it's so subtle.)

3- People who use it when they run out of ideas, and need to fill some space, so here comes that big "dive bomb" (Sadly, i fall into this category which is why i don't put the bar on the guitar most of the time)

As to why so many guitars are made with them? Tradition.

BlueRiff

Once a floating bridge was attached to a guitar, the decline of civilization began. We can’t go back unfortunately. Bridges were better before ….:p. on a serious note - I respect players who have integrated it into their playing. I’ve tried but can’t muster more than the simple vibrato on the last chord of the song. It’s a hell of a lot of work to integrate it into your guitar “voice”. Hence - my respect for those who have put in the work.

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Gold Supporting Member
I think there are three types of floating bridge users:

1- People who have fully integrated it into their style (Steve Vai, Jeff Beck, Michael Lee Firkins, Scott Henderson, etc)

2- People who use it just for a little vibrato or shimmer on chords. (A lot of the time you wouldn't even know they are using it because it's so subtle.)

3- People who use it when they run out of ideas, and need to fill some space, so here comes that big "dive bomb" (Sadly, i fall into this category which is why i don't put the bar on the guitar most of the time)

As to why so many guitars are made with them? Tradition.
I’m all three categories!!!!
(but no where near the 1st examples list of players)

tracyk

I don't use it often and keep it pretty subtle most of the time (pretty much like a toned down version of the Jeff Beck style, nowhere near Vai or EVH), but I'd still very much rather have it available than not - the same reason I have 24 frets.

I also hate the feeling of TOM-style fixed bridges with the strings way up off the body, it's simply uncomfortable for my right hand.

Ron Kirn

Vendor
for the same reason guys buy cars with 500 hp engines to run the kids to school, or to scurry down to the Piggly Wiggly ... ya just never know when you'll need to go from Zero to Sixty in 4 seconds.... Zooooooom.. and worse.. I have a car with 500 hp, . . . no kids and have the groceries delivered ... and my guitars have tremolos... :rolleyes:o_O:p

Trending Topics

Top Bottom