• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Why so much animosity for PRS players, or for anyone that has a guitar with a nice top?

Newbee oldfart

Worlds longest running beginner guitarist.
Silver Supporting Member
I cant help but notice the distain inserted into posts concerning PRS players. According to some, only dentists , posers, old farts with money and no talent etc. play a PRS or for that matter anything with a nice top. I do not own a PRS, the volume knob is too close to the bridge for my Flailing, falling down a flight of stairs right hand approach. Why the Hostility? I thought musicians are supposed to be free thinkers, innovators, Rebels that don't even want a cause. Do we all have to play the same thing so we are "Real" guitarists? I know several guitarists than are truly amazing and could play anything they want. They play a PRS. Why the broad swipe hate?

Last edited:

Newbee oldfart

Silver Supporting Member
No hate from me. They're just seen as an upstart with many high end fancy topped models to many.
I dont what to seem argumentative but are you saying having a large variety of choice is bad. I thought that is what capitalism , marketing and individual options are about. I want to pay for what I want, not what you want. Don't mean to sound disrespectful, this whole thing is just curios to me.

Flyin' Brian

Silver Supporting Member
I've played ones that I liked and some I didn't. I've never cared for quilted tops.
One of the nicest ones I ever played was a custom made Hollow Body that had a plain, low gloss natural spruce top, mahogany back and sides and a monster neck with ebony board and no inlays.

The perfect small jazz tool.

Last edited:

pepedede

I dont what to seem argumentative but are you saying having a large variety of choice is bad. I thought that is what capitalism , marketing and individual options are about. I want to pay for what I want, not what you want. Don't mean to sound disrespectful, this whole thing is just curios to me.

They have a huge varied range at different price points, which is good. It's just that the high end, halo effect private stock, furniture grade top stuff overshadows it. For better or worse to many.

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
I've never understood. It's always something about then not having a je ne sais qoui they call "mojo" or "sterile". If they don't use that word they say something which is in effect similar. Personally, they're often my ideal guitars ergonomically and I love the coil splits. I've found great deals on mine so the joke that only lawyers and doctors can afford them seems absurd to me. I'm not buying Artist, Wood Library, Dragons, Modern Eagle, or Private Stock.

Last edited:

Edoardo_P

I love PRS guitars as much as I love Fenders.

I love their double cut and I adore the violin carves. To my eyes, the PRS is sort of a "second generation" electric guitar that makes the classic set-in models look like "first attempts".

Nevertheless, any guitar must look like wood. I hate striped flashy snot turquoise guitars. Most of those "nice tops" look as tacky as a leotard.

Anyways. News to me!!! I thought the lawyers and the old farts needed an AUTHENTIC Gibson to flap the silver spoon. When did the switch happen?

Last edited:

Jose Eduardo

That feeling towards PRS players (by some) has always been a running theme on this board. There's also plenty of love. After all, this place started as the original PRS Forum's Gear Page.

The anthropologist in me sometimes thinks that it is a way of keeping people 'grounded,' so to speak. Kinda like "don't think you are better than us because you have that pretty and expensive guitar". Just like the !Kung San hunters of the Kalahari, who have a tradition of 'insulting the meat' that hunters bring to their camps so that they don't think that they are superior to the rest, just because they are successful hunters. It keeps boasting hunters humble.
Or, it may well be some other reason:dunno :D

I don't own a PRS anymore but still love and appreciate them.

Newbee oldfart

Silver Supporting Member
Only rich old farts play a PRS SE.
Hi Stratoplaster. I saw your post on another thread saying that if anyone even spoke to you about a relic, you would make them eat it. Im assuming you were just screwing around. You also said that you only like plain 70s gear and dislike pretty much anything other than that. If 75% of the players out there use something other than a plain 70s rig, are they all just wrong? Im guessing that just using statistical probability, many of them are more accomplished guitar players than you. Maybe not. Im glad you like 70s plain guitars but I think everybody ought to feel free to play what they like without being stereotyped. Don't mean to sound disrespectful. Im guessing that you are a very good 70s player. You sound like you are all in.

Edoardo_P

I've been criticized harshly and called a troll for criticizing relic guitars. They are really offensive to me. Though I never actually criticized anyone who plays one, just the guitars themselves, people act like I kicked their dog.

One of the reasons I respect Paul Smith very much is because he doesn't produce relic guitars. Personally, I don't like them, but I certainly recognize their quality and happy to see others supporting him.
I guess it is the other end of the spectrum.

I would pay an extra for a guitar that looks aged and that is sparsely dinged, even from the factory. I love the way older finishes don't reflect the light, and starting with a few dings and scratches is better than starting from none. In other words, I'd gladly buy a lightly reliced guitar so that my own dings and scratches won't "stand out" forever as they do.
The mid to heavy relicing looks just too fake and tacky and i hate it.

PRS doesn't do that, fair enough. but it does do "green zebra guitars with golden hardware" or "3D watermark quilted wood with nail polish on top" that in turn make... the musician look fake, unless they can pull it off. Cos those guitars are really way over the top as well. They'll never belong in a bar.

Last edited:

Trending Topics