Why so much feedback/noise?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by saneff, Jan 30, 2012.

1. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

I have a Vox AC15c1 and the pedalboard below. Granted, there are extra distortions on there but I am just trying them out and will pick my favorite soon. Anyway, at home I am getting major feeback sounds and noise when the board runs through my Vox and my guitars are plugged in. It's minor usually but when I hit a pedal such as the Pinnacle or the SLO it really ramps up the feedback and noise. You can't even use them. Now when I pull one of those pedals off and use the pedal by itself as a standalone pedal I don't have a problem. The pedalboard is laid out bottom row right to left > right to left also on top row. (Keep in mind I'm a pretty new player and new to pedals etc.) Does any of this make any sense?

[​IMG]

2. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

The embarrasingly obvious question would be: "Did you inadvertently leave your wah pedal engaged?" I know this because it has happened to me. Yes it is embarrasing! If the wah is engaged it's a 20db boost and will send anything over into massive feedback, musical or....not. Hope that is all it is. If it turns out not to be the case. Build from one pedal up. Adding one circuit at a time. You will figure it out. You will also learn as you go, we all do.

3. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

It could be the power supply. It looks like you have 2- 1 Spots running things. I've had pretty good luck with those, but everything plugged into the same surge protector might be doing it.

4. tibbon

tibbon Member

The clear answer is that there's something with too much gain. Unplug things until you find the culprit.

5. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Have you tried all of the pedals by themselves? If there is no noise that way, hook up one, try it, then add another, check for hum/feedback, repeat. At some point you'll find the culprit.

6. Structo

Structo Member

How loud is the amp turned up?

7. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

your guitar pickups could be microphonic

8. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

So if EVERY other pedal on the board is switched off, and you only turn on the SLO or the Pinnacle you have the problem? But not when you pull the pedal off the board and connect it by itself?

Im thinking the fact that you are running the gain dimed on both these pedals might be causing a problem with another pedal on in the chain (reverb, delay, etc) especially if you are stacking drives.

9. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

Ok so stupid newbie stuff here so cut me some slack. Should I position the amp further away or faced differently? I noticed tonight that if I put my hand over the pickups the feedback goes away but that might be obvious. Gosh I'm an idiot.

10. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

Volume too loud and you're too close to the amp?

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

Are you stacking gain pedals? Are is your amp distorted and/or loud?

Lots of volume/gain can do this, especially if you're right in front of the amp.

12. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

I have a Vox AC15cc1, which is slightly different from your amp, but I found that mine really suffered from RF interference. I would get lots of hum in rooms with poor grounding, fluorescent lights, or nearby RF.

Up there in Cornelius, you are really close to WDAV. I used to get their broadcast coming through my amps and speakers all the time when I lived up there.

Perhaps what I did to my amp will help: I took a piece of aluminum flashing (the stuff you use around roof gutter corners and such) and cut it down to size to fit over the back of the chassis of my amp. I just screwed this piece down between the back of the chassis and the back plate of the amp. Helped a ton.