Why so serious?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Turbo Gerbil, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I think an occupational hazard of being a musician is we get so wrapped up in tone, tools, and technique that we forget about the big picture. When we hear music, all we want to do is compare it to our internal standards to see if it measures up. We complain that "the masses" are clueless automatons for supporting "inferior" musicians and performers. Yet, what we forget is that "the masses" don't really give a crap about how well you can navigate those changes, or that your guitar is a old Martin, or that you are using the latest boutique amp du jour. They just care about how the music makes them feel. They don't care if what they are listening too will be remembered 10 years from now; they just enjoy what is out there in this time and place.

Not all art needs to have a big message, or be technically brilliant, or make changes in society, or be something that is supposed to be remembered 40 years from now. Sometimes art is just art for today. Of course musicians like to experience other expert musicians, because we are enamored with musicianship. Most people really arn't, and neither position is superior to the other. Sometimes stunning musicians become popular, but quite often the popular are not stunning musicians. This is not wrong, or a travesty, or a symptom of the general public being morons, it just is what it is. Does the song make me feel something or have some meaning to me, today? Thats all that actually matters.

If you shut off the inner critic, and just allow yourself to sit and listen and see how you respond, you might be surprised what you enjoy. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has found myself responding to some song and then my brain kicks in and says "hey, you arn't supposed to like that, cut it out." Give yourself permission. I used to discount pop and country music just on principle. Now I enjoy artists from both those genres, simply because I gave myself permission to. I can admit that yes, there are a couple of Spice Girls tunes I kinda dig, not because they are some supreme example of the pop art, but just because I kinda dig em. That doesn't prevent me from liking Scofield or Robert Fripp, or Django. I can like Skrillex, and Segovia. Destiny's Child and Steve Morse.

Just a rant. Sorry. Lighten up. Enjoy music. Its not a competition. Have fun for gods sakes. Sometimes all you need is a beat.

2. rob2001

rob2001 Member

Nice post Turbo. Far too much analyzing going on.

3. Ben R

Ben R Member

Well said. If it's fun for you and other people are enjoying it, then you're doing a good job.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

That's why this is one of the greatest songs of all time:

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

The musicians I know who aren't on TGP or similar discussion groups (most of them), don't worry about tone or technique.

They just play.

6. Mayfield

Mayfield Silver Supporting Member

Nice post....:agree

7. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I love that tune. :D

How bout this one. :D

8. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

i'm on TGP.
    i work on my tone-production & technique, but don't worry about it'
    i just play.

and, i have fun..... and some other edifiers come into play, as well.
    ha!

^ i'm pretty sure that i'm not alone in this ^, t.h.

anyways, for me:
    it's not about whether i'm "too serious", or not;
    it's kinda more about what, precisely, i'm serious about.

i'm beginning to think that
    a little bit of heartfelt, honest vision might serve to go a long way,
    especially when attendant work is focussed on that core of what's actually important to me.

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I suspect this is just good general advice we could all use.

10. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

as students of the art of musicianship, a bit of seriousness about our craft is not a bad thing. It can however, handicap certain people because they don't live up to how their own internal critic thinks they should play. Then a bit less seriousness could be useful.

As consumers of art, sometimes it can limit our enjoyment of arts unnecessarily.

11. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I have loved that song since I first heard it when it was new (and I was a junior high student).

12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Sure, but my experience is that too-serious tone obsessives are the minority of "musicians", but plentiful on gear forums.

13. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

this has also been my observation.

14. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

well, thats kind of self-selecting, so not surprising. :)

15. splatt

indeed!
    again, i wonder if it isn't the choice for the focus of our seriousnesses.
    don cherry used to say to me, at nearly every gig:
    "let's go have some fun..... some serious fun."

yeah.
    it may be better to simply listen, than to try to consume, though, ¿eh?

:)

16. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

:aok:aok:aok

17. lespaul6

lespaul6 Senior Member

those who have studied the topic of art from the theoretical standpoint understand that no one piece of art replaces another as more "true" ... the model used in manufacture and consumption, that is, that the horse is necessarily replaced by the car, the car by the train, the train by the airplane and so forth, is a technological model based on greatest quantity and efficiency. Art stands above all that because no one artists work "replaces" another- they each stand on their own. This is especially the case when those who favor one decade of music, or one type of music, think they are operating from the standpoint of truth- when they are merely operating from the standpoint of taste.

18. splatt

dig, dag, dug;
    yeah.

a coupla oldies-but-goodies:

19. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member