1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Why the Astrotone is the greatest fuzz pedal ever...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Braunzo, May 24, 2011.

1. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

Going to post a clip of my band, not necessarily the greatest performance in the world, but you can really hear the dynamic content of the Astrotone. Everything you hear in this video, the Astrotone is ON. The 'clean' passages are just my volume knob rolled down with the El Capistan for some delay. Basic dirt sounds are the bridge of my tele with the volume knob almost wide open. Solo tone is Astrotone > Tim on my neck pickup. Very very versatile pedal, man. All this through a DRRI with a Green Back. Love it!

I'm the weirdo on the left.

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

nice!

great tones.

bassist did a solid job, btw.

3. Braunzo

He's ridiculous... I need to find a video of the Primus stuff we do that he nails. He's not human.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Just got mine the other day. Really like it so far. The tone knob though seems useless when turned all the way to the right. Almost acts like a volume knob. I now have 4 AM pedals on my board. Big fan here!

5. erksin

erksin Member

All the way to the right is the OG Sam Ash Fuzz sound - low output and thin as hell. That tone control is GOLD.

I have two. :bounce

6. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

:rotflmao the sleeveless dude loves the spotlight.

7. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

got mine a few weeks ago...love it. it plays well with other pedals too! especially other AM ones!

8. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

Does/can the Astro sound anything like a Fuzz Face? Or is it more of an od/distortion or like a Screddy Screwdriver?

I have read up on it and checked out what I could find on youtube last night - still haven't heard much fuzz out of it. I'm at work so I couldn't check out the OP yet.

9. charmboy

charmboy Member

I find that with the volume and fuzz knobs maxed and the tone below around 9:00 or lower, you get yourself into very convincing fuzz face territory. It gets thicker and "fuzzier" as the tone is lowered.

10. redbeardrob

redbeardrob Member

haha, yea i'm at work too bud! can't watch videos here...

i'm not familiar with the Screddy Screwdriver, but it's kind of like a fuzzface, but with less gain. it's kind of like a od/fuzz pedal. it's definately fuzz & not distortion, but since there's not a huge amount of gain, it has characteristics of an OD. i have a high gain sunface, and the astrotone compliments it nicely. plus, run it into an OD like a tube screamer or a KOT and it's pure awesomeness. my wife, who thinks all dirt pedals sound the same, loves it because of how "unique" it is!

it's nothing like a big muff or a peppermint fuzz though. it won't give you any white stripes or black keys tones. but it can NAIL vintage 60's tones. great for blues like howlin' wolf & stuff flike that.

11. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

Sweet - Thanks redbeardrob and Charmboy

12. WolfmansBrother

WolfmansBrother Supporting Member

Yes, he keeps doing the "back to back" lean with the singer, but the singer just isn't committing...

Love the Astro. It'll be my next dirt pedal for sure.

13. Braunzo

Yeah, he had a little talking to at that point. Mid life crisis from hell. Anyway... It's definitely got the od thing going for it when you back off the volume. The solo is the only time I ran it "full fuzz". All I used the tim for was a boost, so most of that tone was the astro.

14. rolltide

rolltide Member

I love the Astrotone. Mike (erksin) recommended it and it was the perfect fit for what I was looking for. The tone knob really makes a world of difference and it cuts really well.

I almost couldn't watch the other guitarist. It made me a bit uncomfortable. Leaning in on the bass player, whispering to the singer, the lean back, the "I can't hear you" crowd motions...

15. Braunzo

Yep. Like I said. Mid life crisis. Just started recently. He's gotten a talking to. Told him he can "work"the crowd when he becomes the singer of another band.

16. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

I get about 15 seconds of the video then nothing. Left it to load,went outside for about 20 minutes came back in and still nothing..Any suggestions? Every other video in the side bar plays fine..

17. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

Dude! Rule #1 is don't bag on your own band in public! You might get a talking to next!

18. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I have an AtroTone coming in the mail - got it off the Emporium today - wanted one since they came out.

redbeardrob caused me to take the plunge with this quote that I like...:
    "but it can NAIL vintage 60's tones. great for blues like howlin' wolf & stuff flike that. "

I want some fuzzy blues-ness!

19. VONG

VONG Member

dude your rhythm guitarist rules