Why the copyright trolls have won YouTube

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by TonePilot, May 27, 2020.

1. Korla Pundit

Korla Pundit Member

So, you can't explain why your pal is owed a credit he did not do due diligence in pursuing other than your feelings? Do I have that right?

I mean, this is the entirety of what you have to say on the matter:

Amen to that brother.

One reason I bring this up is I've been friends with members of a national recording act for many years and have even gigged with a few of them in outside projects. They had several Top 40 hits and couple even made the Top Ten as well as three platinum selling albums.

The hit songs were all written by one member many based around similar chords but each slanted a bit differently. Their producer whom I've also known for over 20 years was fairly instrumental in crafting their trademark sound from those tunes and separating them from the pack.

Without a doubt though it was some outstanding guitar work from one member which pushed these songs forward. To this day he's only member of the original band to never have abandoned it in over 40 years and help sell those older tunes yet to this day none of the song writing royalties are his.

I know it's a perfect world concept but somehow to me that just doesn't seem right.

Whether or not your friend was a co-writer of this material has nothing to do with anything outside of the agreements he made with the folks he was working with who ultimately own the work. The time to claim ownership was when the work was created. If he did not assert his rights, that's no one's fault but his own.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    JPH118 likes this.
  2. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

ah, my correction of the OP was based on the JT track; so, my correction was incorrect..... ¿unless others misunderstood as i did? lol. sorry.

stratadp likes this.
  3. Jeff Stocks

Jeff Stocks Member

Where do you folks reckon Rick got those stems he uses to build his brand?

Howzaboppin likes this.
  4. soulman969

soulman969 Member

No.....I simply said I won't explain what I know to you.

And since you can't take no for an answer welcome my TGP ignore list.

5. Korla Pundit

Korla Pundit Member

LMAO

6. jaguarillo68

jaguarillo68 Member

With all this time on our hands why not sit down with your daughter or son and show em a few things if they are so inclined.
    A record player is a great teaching tool. Look up a vid they or u might like show the basics.
    Teach em how to walk the baseline, the root of blues if they are so inclined tds. I wouldnt start em on jt or zep. That stuff is hard and would probably discourage them. F yt F comps. I didn't need it. I always learned the best stuff from my teacher, buddys and records.
    The human element is necessary.

7. matw

matw Member

The more detailed ones (separated drums etc) are traded between engineers, I have some of them that I got from friends. Others are available in Youtube itself if you search.

The less detailed ones (eg: the ones with all guitars in one track) are most certainly extracted from the videogame Rock Band and have been traded online for the last ten years or so.

stratadp likes this.
  8. gigs

gigs Member

If all of this results in more musicians playing live music and making a good living doing that, then I fully support it.

jaguarillo68 likes this.
  9. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

No, it’s not

It’s silly political rubbish

coltranemi2012 likes this.
  10. Whittlez

Whittlez Member

I’m speaking descriptively not normatively

it is what it is

I remember when it became a thing and people were complaining that well people with cassette tapes can steal other peoples music and of course every time somebody made a mixed tape and they didn’t own the underlying recordings or they gave them to somebody who didn’t they were of course technically violating copyright law

11. Jeff Stocks

Jeff Stocks Member

I know where he got them. I’ve been offered them from producers before myself. It’s just fun to hear people defend a guy who built his brand on stolen/pirated stems.

I don’t try to reconcile the cognitive dissonance any more.

12. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

Beato, from what he has said, has made those videos to educate because he loves music and wants to continue to see it flourish. He has spoken more than once how music education has been reduced or eliminated in schools and that when he was young "everyone" learned an instrument. He now just wants to share. Does it help drive subscribers to his channel? Probably, but more as a by product.

13. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

Ugh, I knew this thread would just be a link to clickbait

14. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Yeah, but how many people would be driven to his channel if he didn't have all the "Why this famous song is so good?" content. Just talking in the abstract about chord progressions, voice leading, etc isn't super compelling. Adding in the famous content of other people is what makes his videos appealing and draws people in to his active money making operation. Consider the legal precedent:

In 1917 the Supreme Court ruled in ASCAP's favor and thus established the foundation for the organization's future existence, its subsequent power and influence, and, in some measure, a new respect for songs as individual artistic creations. Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. ruled that establishments, notably restaurants, had to pay for music even if they did not charge an entry fee: "It is true that music is not the sole object, but neither is the food, which probably could be got cheaper elsewhere...If music did not pay, it would be given up. If it pays, it pays out of the public's pocket. Whether it pays or not, the purpose of employing it is a profit, and that is enough."--Ben Yagoda, "The B Side"

A-Bone and Korla Pundit like this.
  15. CrankyDutchman

CrankyDutchman Member

The Internet Giveth; the Internet Taketh Away. Blessed be the Name of the Internet

CoachD and gonzoknife like this.
  16. Scary Uncle G.

Scary Uncle G. Member

You can buy sheet music at that place they call the "internet." That's where I get my violin music.

Yup, when I started taking violin lessons, the teacher told me I WOULD read music or no lessons.

Korla Pundit likes this.
  17. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

you're entitled to song-writing credit when the artist(s) who originated the music agrees with you that you deserve a writer's share; that's how that works.

if you're primarily being hired to contribute to the session & will be paid a fair sum for that, and if it's a Union session from which you may well receive residual payments for secondary (and further) uses of your playing in this music, then there's that.

you always have the right to start a discussion if you feel that your "creative parts" for their song seem like they equate to "co-writing", if you feel like doing so; of course, the results may or may not please you, the artist or the both of ya.

18. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

https://www.musicnotes.com

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com

And so on.

Korla Pundit likes this.
  19. hellbender

hellbender Member

Long before YT, buying the sheet music or the album or better yet, going to the show and learning how its played is how it was done for decades.

donm1104 and Korla Pundit like this.
  20. GT100

GT100 Member

If you get hired in to play bass on a song and you come up with a cool bass part that becomes a significant part of the song -what’s in it for the artist that hired you to give you writing credit? And if you start that conversation how long till the word gets out that you expect your cut and don’t get work?
    Steve Lukather has said that when he did sessions the difference in the songs before and after the hired musicians had their input was significant. It sounded like they fixed the songs/ rerote them. Yet no one ever mentioned giving song writing credits.

Lloyd