Why the effects loop? What order pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jimmybcool, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

Hi all,

I'm kinda new to pedals. Is there a FAQ somewhere that explains the purpose of the effects loop on amps and what pedals whould go where in what order?

Thanks

2. benabloom

benabloom Member

Thats a good question. I would like to know too.

3. jimmybcool

Damn. I thought your reply would be the one that made all clear :)

4. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Effects loops exist because some effects, most notably delay, modulation, and reverb, sound like poo when used in front of a distorting preamp.

As for effects order, the search function yields plenty of threads if you use the search phrase
    effects AND order
    with the "and" capitalized as shown.

5. jimmybcool

Aleclee

Thanks. So the effects loop inserts the pedal AFTER the preamp stage. OK. Any reason not to put ALL your pedals in at this point to simplify cabling? Or do some effects sound better going through the preamp tubes?

And yes, I WILL do the search and further edumacate myself. The order probably matters too.

Thanks again.

6. aleclee

Dirt boxes, compressors, and wahs can sound "odd" when used in the loop.

7. jimmybcool

Thanks. I followed your advice and searched the site. I found a great article by Kewlpack here

http://forum.thestompbox.net/showthread.php?t=5155

Some of it is still unclear to me as I am not sure what are buffered effects and I don't know if my amp is a serial or parallel loop. But I'm getting started.

From what I can glean, with my stuff (not many effects) the simple way would be:

guitar - Strobostomp tuner - Duncan Crybaby - Route 66 OD - Boss Flanger - Boss 65 Deluxe Reverb - Amp (Supro Tremolectric) running clean

If I use the effects loop I would move the flanger and reverb to that.

I think at this point I will stick with a single signal chain into the amp. I'll probably experiement but first I'll set it up in this order and compare tone with or without the effects to see how transparent they are.

One thing I am not clear on and I will look for the amp manual later. Do built in effects such as reverb and trem enter before or after the preamp stage? Or does each maker do it different?

I'mn kind of glad my background is as an electronics tech. Maybe I"ll understand some of this stuff eventually :cool:

8. aleclee

After

9. jimmybcool

Thanks. I'm gonna sign off and go "speriment". :dude

10. paulscape

paulscape Member

Verb and delay always in the loop...but with modulation I can't make up my mind...sounds different with different amps and loops I guess but I sometimes find my phaser and flanger sound better and stronger in effect in front than in the loop...but I need to play them through different loops and amps to totally work it out!