why the hate for Twin Reverb II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 55'gibby, Mar 22, 2005.

1. 55'gibby

55'gibby Guest

I own a early 80's (rivera designed) Fender Twin Reverb II. everywhere I look I see nothing good written about them. I know they weigh more than a battleship (I have to carry mine out of the basement to jam) and louder than all get out. I have had mine for well over a year and a half, and with a bit of mucking about with tubes and speakers I have found some wonderful tones. I picked mine up for $300 and I consider it a great buy. I am running an EV12 and a V30 in the 2 x 12 and I can get that wonder clean the fender is known for, and I can get some pretty respectable crunch out of it. I have heard that some folks call them the poor man's dumble (not even close in my book), but I found they have their own tone, and I find it enjoyable.

am I missing something or is it just fashionable to bash them? I know it's not a $3000 boutique amp, but it does well by me

Wardell Brown and wilto like this.
  2. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

I just saw a mint Twin Reverb II head and matching 4x12 cab with covers. I may have to check it out.

Wardell Brown likes this.
  3. 55'gibby

55'gibby Guest

what are they asking for it? I really like mine... although I am building a new cab for it and making it into a piggyback (your too old if you remember that name for a half stack). I figure it's easier to move two 50 pound pieces rather than one 100 pound piece.

Wardell Brown likes this.
  4. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    all of the Rivera-designed Fenders ('82-'85+) are great amps. you read it here ;).

i've had several Concerts: a 4x10, a couple of 1x12s, presently have a Fuchs-mod'd Concert and a stock Concert head. the Superchamps of that era are well-known and loved here on TGP. Deluxes and Princetons, too. not too many Twin IIs mentioned. if you got one for $300, that qualifies for extraordinary bargain IMHO :D

:cool:

5. hawkeyeinexile

hawkeyeinexile Silver Supporting Member

WayOutWest (Santa Clara, CA (not Canada))
    btw, i've never seen "hate" for a Twin Reverb II. red-knob Twins, yes, but those came afterwards. (and are often used by Robben Ford ;) )

:cool:

6. Sudsysul

Sudsysul Member

I'm in.. got a Princeton II from Rivera era. It's a nice grab an go'er.

ChampReverb likes this.
  7. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

I just bought one today at a local Pawn Shop for $236 out the door. How's that for a deal. I bought a BF Vibro-Champ there 8 months ago for $175. it is now officially my favorite store ever.. The guy told me they have a Les Paul coming out of hock in a couple of days :AOK

wilto likes this.
  8. go7

go7 Member

dmagalhaes; Those are two.. good deals.You have some kinda luck!!

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

That must be a great combo, but, a whole lot of amp to cart about and justify in "normal" applications.
    OTOH, pick the right pedals and you are done for any gig. Too bad, no more shopping!

10. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Supporting Member

Those deals are few and far between. I had some luck buying various pedals in the 80's for next to nothing then and selling them for a small fortune on eBay. It pays for my GAS :RoCkIn

11. thesplawnster

thesplawnster Member

I bought a reverb II back in the early 90's, not a great deal I think $425, but when I got it home and cleaned it out under the reverb tank was a suprise. 2 old dried-up joints someone left unsmoked. and a fresh 100 dollar bill. And no I didn't spark them up. I did give them to my room mate he got all pie eyed. So they weren't dried out too bad. smelt dam good thou.

55 Jr and xchemie like this.
  12. angelo

angelo Member

I had one for a while. Never my number 1 for a few reasons. Got it for $50 broken ---- replaced the tubes -- back to life!!!

I loved the clean sound and the disto --- but it was worthless at a gig for me at the time because I couldn't footswitch. Couldn't find one either.

I thought it sounded like a fine twin clean.

In the end, I got the hots for a lonestar special and traded it in. For the years I had it, I was very pleased.

IMHO, WAY better than the red knobed ones.

13. souelle

souelle Member

I think the Twin Reverb II sound very good, but here's why many people don't like thoses amps, speacially amp tech (look at the pictures)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That spaghetti mess is part of the problem... One day that amp can be really noise free, and the next day, if you knock the amp too hard when carrying it, it can become very extremely noisy just because a wire have moved from 1/4 inches inside. Now to fix it, you have to move back that wire that is causing that noise, but which one ? Doh ! If you move the wrong one, that wire you have just moved may start to make noise too, so you will never see the end of it. My amp tech told me that amp was a nightmare for that reason, and also because there's so much wire inside that if the amp need to be repaired, your tech may loose patiente before being able to fix the damn thing. In fact for 200$, he have cmpletely remove all the wire inside, and he have rewire the complete amp in a more efficient way, to make that amp easier to fix and to make sure nothing can move if the amp is knocked...

14. jay42

jay42 Member

Its chief problem is that the clean channel has some tweaks and doesn't deliver true BF tone. That torqued off a lot of people in the 80's. That can be remedied mostly by removing parts and changing some values. The OD channel doesn't make a lot of people happy, though it's much smoother into an EV15L, so it depends. The midboost is extreme, but a smaller cap takes care of that.

It's a top notch donor for a *umble ODS Reverb clone as it has an unused triode section.

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Recently had to decide between
    buying a Twin Reverb or a Lonestar Classic...
    Actually found, to my surprise,
    the Lonestar's clean to be much more pleasing then the Twin's..

Not to mention the Lonestar's overdrive channel was ton's better..
    the Twin's 2nd channel sounded almost like a fuzz pedal...

The Lonestar's cleans
    are much like the always sweet sounding Fender Deville's,
    Only the Mesa's have a little more sparkle...
    Best Mesa clean ever...!

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

i love robbens tone with those almost equal to the dumble!!! the zendrive sounds amazing through them.. how about some specs on robbens any info!?

17. Mrjoelv

Mrjoelv Member

I have a Deluxe Reverb II. I have done a few mods to it and it really sounds good but I know there is a lot of negitive vibe toward the Rivera era amps.

18. bettset

bettset Member

twin or concert........pick your level of power. total sleeper amps. using it with an ev 12 and v 30.......no brainer there. try a 4x12 with v 30's and 65's........rivera's brilliance with these amps. if i'd find another and it wasn't getting the tones well due to age, i'd send it to fuchs or bill at sebago. they'd have it breathing fire again. really good stuff :munch

donnyrocker likes this.
  19. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

:DI posted in this thread nearly 10 years ago!
    A new personal best.
    And I still agree with me! ..mostly

donnyrocker and 55 Jr like this.
  20. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Can't speak to the TRII but my DRII is awesome.