Why the Ultimate Attenuator works so well

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soldano16, Mar 12, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Now understand that I have no experience using 50 and 100 watt Marshalls at real volume. I play at moderate volumes and previously had my 50 watt plexi amp at 3 at jams at my house. When I gigged it, I had it at 4 and used a pedal for dirt. But now with the UA, I run the amp on 7+. So far the experience has been magic. Part of the magic is the fact that the gain comes on faster than the volume.

In other words, if I go into a lead and find I want more dirt and sustain, it comes on very fast and heavy relative to the volume. So just by being a bit careful with pick attack, it's very easy to find the perfect blend for what I feel like playing. Before, any such change to the tone would bring an unacceptable increase in volume. But now, I can ride my volume control almost like a tone control. Maybe this is how it works anyways if you run the amp at 7+. But now I have volumes I can live with. :dude

For folks with NMV amps that are just too powerful, this unit is a great solution.

I know I probably post too much on this UA but after being so frustrated knowing I was missing out on the joys of my plexi and now having the incredible tone on tap, I feel almost obligated to spead the news. And to really qualify, I have NO experience with any other kind of attenuator. But I think I know tone and THIS is tone.

Dannyz likes this.
  2. marmelade sky

marmelade sky Member

great, I'm planning to get one as well...

too disappointed after using some others which altered my tone...

I'll let you Know about my appreciations when I'll get it...;)

3. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Dude, you are killing me here lol. I thought that I decided to go with a power scaled amp, but now I am contempating a UA (actually one of Ho's attenuators) and then I can look at most any amp...particularly a 50W Marshall. Thanks a lot for making my decision that much harder!!! (just kidding).

4. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I've heard great things about power scaling so maybe both work wonderfully. More and more of the boutique makers are including that feature. Mojave is one builder that comes to mind that makes a power scaled plexi amp.

But it is true that having a separate unit means you can use it with any amp, which is really nice. I've got a Germino Classic 45 in transit and I'm dying to try the UA with that puppy.:RoCkIn

If you go UA, even though it's already lot's of bucks, you might want to spring for the footswitchable 2 volumes option. What that does is give you the best overdrive pedal you could ask for.

5. awardsjake

awardsjake Supporting Member

I just bought the double volume version and it's quite good. If you buy one get the "plexi" switch as you will need it. Without it engaged you lose a fair amount of top end. Two other things I noticed...Your amp will have more clean headroom than before with the attenuator volume knob cranked. That's hard to believe but true. Ho told me it would happen and it's the truth. Also your amp will distort more with it in the circuit so if you like the overdrive set at say 7 it will sound like that at 5 or so. I think it works best with an amp that has two separate volume knobs or separate channels. That way you can set one side dead clean and the other volume/channel on "stun" with different volume levels....pretty slick
    Jake

6. Dennis Rayburn

Dennis Rayburn Supporting Member

I love my UA. Sounds great with my Black Cat.

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Good to hear that it works well...
    I'm looking to get the UA, Komet or Dr.Z attenuator for my amps...