• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why the visceral hate for locking tuners?

Nothing will make a 6 screw fender trem stable like locking tuners! Love em. My $129 bullet strat with locking tuners installed- very stable even with the original bridge!

I play SSS Strats with 6 point "trems". The trems get a fair bit of abuse. Locking tuners are a requirement. In the days before locking tuners...

Golem

Silver Supporting Member
That and asking for noiseless single coils on some forums and you'll get 1/5 people telling you that you don't need them. Not every guitar I own has locking tuners, but if I keep them all around long enough they would eventually.

tooter007

"Back in my day I had to walk to school everyday barefoot in the snow, up hill both ways, and life shouldn't be any easier for anybody else. Locking tuners have zero negative effect on your guitar other than making your life easier so you're WEAK if you use them but you're COOL AND TOUGH if you don't because it makes your life harder for no reason" the idiot said about the electric guitar, an instrument that would not be impossible without electricity, a technology which makes our lives infinitely easier and more comfortable than we would be without it.
Try being a drummer playing Roland V-Drums....you don't know the meaning of visceral hate brother!

Ron Kirn

Platinum Supporting Member
Vendor
while this will open the door to further "enlightened" opinions.. The simple application of applied physics says the more mass at the headstock, the more the strings will be able to resist the natural tendency to dissipate energy into a less massive headstock.. the yield has to be improved sustain.. For thoise with such concerns I recommend Locking tuners over the brass contraption some screw to the back of the headstock..

But remember that sustain increase will be damn near negligible in all but the most controlled conditions.. and, of course, in your cognitive bias' reality.

r

Mark Ray

The RockTrain
Platinum Supporting Member
I haven't read all 10 pages, but you will never hear me hate on locking tuners! As someone who frequently plays 3 or 4 hour gigs, with usually 2 guitars, they without a doubt help keep my tuning in check. I don't have a tech handing me a fresh guitar every 3 songs. We play a lot of outdoor gigs. AND I bend the wires a LOT.

Last edited:

DGAS

I hate all new things, especially inventions that make things easier to use and more convenient without any downside.

I hate washing machines. Yes, they're more convenient but something is lost compared to boiling clothes in an iron cauldron the 'vintage' way.

I especially hate remote controls for TVs. I much prefer getting up off the comfortable couch to change the channel. It's how I stay so fit.

And don't even get me started on automatic transmissions...

Gevalt

Viseceral hate is such an ugly phrase.
I would love to not use or read the word "hate" for a long time.
Dislike is such a great, better word.

Atmospheric

I'm very conscious of adding mass to the headstock. Perhaps bordering on superstition. I'll keep using my Klusons.

Alanko

I don't hate locking tuners, but inexperienced guitarists (or those with a limited appetite or intelligence for the technical aspects of guitars) tend to over-prescribe locking tuners to solve tuning stability issues coming from elsewhere.

If I ever go back to using a vintage six-screw tremolo on a Strat type guitar then I would consider locking tuners, as it means I don't need to bank on 3/4 wraps of string at each tuner staying perfectly bunched together. I removes one possible hole from the gently aligning slices of Swiss cheese that eventually lead to poor tuning stability in instruments with that type of bridge.

I don't personally consider locking tuners to be the solution to poorly cut nuts and bad stringing practices in general. And there seems to be a fairly monotonous insistence with new guitarists in particular that tuners need to be upgraded by default. Maybe its a nervous tick or a need to prove that you know what you're talking about from the get-go? "Tuners need upgraded eventually" seems to be a stock phrase.

I've only ever seen tuners slip when they are very cheap and the gears shed teeth (such as fake Chinese Grover copies with plastic gears) or very old, so I don't think they need upgraded by default.

kookaburra

locking tuners?? Heck I’m too cheap to replace even broken regular tuners....

had an incident with my Epiphone years ago at a gig. I removed the tuner, straightened the shaft, and welded a random washer on. Lol!!
My favorite post in a while, too funny!

I like locking tuners. I had no idea that some really had issues.

soultrain65

If it's a vintage guitar with some value I like keeping the originals on them, but other than that I'd change to locking tuners. Extra tuner mounting screw holes drive me nuts, so I'd only change them if I could get replacements that fit as the originals. The first time I changed strings with locking tuners I was hooked. They are easy to use and minimize string slack.

BlueRiff

I’ve owned them in the past on a Fender Deluxe Plus and thought they were great. I can’t see a downside really.

MatchFive

Gold Supporting Member
I have Hipshot locking tuners on my $80 pawn shop guitar. It has upgraded pickups and electronics as well.

Mikhael

I like them a lot. Sperzels have been smooth and very nice for me (although I'd rather have a mounting screw than that "peg"). Heck, I like them enough to put them on a guitar WITH a locking nut, simply because they make string changes quicker.

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
When I purchase a guitar I usually purchase along with it Locking Tuners and Dunlop Strap Locks.

The thought of it brings a smile to my face.

Trending Topics