• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why the visceral hate for locking tuners?

Chris Scott

They make a lot of sense on something like this. Without them changing strings is a real chore, and it's stable as a rock (although I can't say for sure it's because of the locking tuners, as it's always had these lockers on it, so I don't have a comparison - but I know for sure they don't hurt).

Of course! If they work for you, who am I to suggest otherwise? ...these were just my observations as both a player and a tech, but everyone has their own take on it.

It is worth noting that not having to deal with wrapping coils around the post in a situation like that can be a big plus...12-strings are just a pita sometimes, and less fiddling = less stress.

12-stringed guitars have their own issues due to the extra weight on the headstock, as they often become unbalanced when playing while seated, usually due to using die-cast (as in heavy) tuners when lighter stamped steel examples would work just as well....if this isn't an issue, then there's nothing to worry about really.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

markmann

My two main electrics have floating trems and locking tuners and both stay in tune really well. My other guitars have standard tuners and I have no issue with them either. Besides the locking tuners helping to keep my trem equipped guitars in tune (I use the wammy a LOT), string changes are faster which can be very handy whilst playing live and no sting winder needed.

hanknc

Silver Supporting Member
While I do not subscribe to the “tuners affect stability” theories, I like locking tuners on the guitars I use the most and most frequently change strings on for their convenience. I also think a little added mass on the headstock can sometimes be a good thing.
E3866218-D06E-495F-BCCD-E8DA9A213879.jpeg 73E9821C-122E-49E5-904A-1CA77E09592E.jpeg

Mad Wombat

I have them on everything except my bass, and only because it's a cheap bass and strings are changed very infrequently.
They make string changes easier with no effect on anything else, so why not?

Sweat

Gold Supporting Member
All guitars should have them, do not understand the dislike. If I buy a guitar without them I buy them and put them on.

In the process of adding them to a PRS SE and my Joe B. Epi Les Paul

PaulS60

Just replaced the Grover 102 tuners on my 355 with Gotoh SG-301 Magnum lock. Drop in swap, no issues with fit. Not only are string changes easier, but they're actually 6 grams lighter than the 102's. Wish I'd done it sooner.

piazzi

never felt the need to buy and install them

i have a 339 Gibson, a Fender Strat with tremolo, a Dean Icon

none has a locking tuner and all stay in tune OK

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Locking tuners cause broken strings.
Indisputable.
Try it. Remove, reinstall, retune the same string.
I doubt that you can do it 3 times before that crimp and bend snap the string right at the tuner.
Other than that..pretty cool.:aok

apeekaboo

Locking tuners cause broken strings.
Indisputable.
Try it. Remove, reinstall, retune the same string.
I doubt that you can do it 3 times before that crimp and bend snap the string right at the tuner.
Other than that..pretty cool.:aok
I'm not disputing that, but it doesn't really matter either. I don't reuse strings, so if a set comes off they go straight to the trash bin and a new set comes on.

brain21

I have no problem with a locking mechanism. These days, parts makers like Gotoh use such discreet mechanisms, while using traditional button shapes and materials, you are hard pressed to even notice the difference. What I do hate is when someone ruins the visual aesthetic of a guitar, and puts tuners on with some awkward looking buttons, like the ones Hipshot use a lot. You might as well make the buttons look like dice at that point. Ooof.
You can buy button replacements for Sperzels and hipshot and others. You can get them in different colors, shapes, and even materials like pearloid and wood.

If its a 335 and you care about the aesthetic, get some tulip-shaped replacements that are plastic or whatever and most people won't even notice.

But if you really want to piss people off, get bean-shaped nickel replacement buttons for your 335. Watch those idiot purists have a conniption when they think you put vintage strat tuners on your Gibson! :)

xzacx

Function wise, on all but Floyd-style trems I find them kind of overkill...they become important when the trem moves enough to loosen the string wraps on the tuner posts enough to "unlock", otherwise most tuning problems are due to issues with the nut.
How could they possibly loosen on a guitar with a Floyd when it's locked at the nut? They're still functional on a guitar with a Floyd since all they really do is make changing strings faster, but personally I just string them backwards on my guitars with Floyds which is even faster and easier still.

David B

Gold Supporting Member
HI David (love your pedals!). That's a clever answer, but it looks like most of the responders here disagree with you.
I can live with that I'm keeping birds on my PRS, and hearing my fretboard "tonewood too! Although I still can't hear the 2 wire "harness" on my LP junior. :D

Trending Topics