• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why the visceral hate for locking tuners?

Chris Scott

How could they possibly loosen on a guitar with a Floyd when it's locked at the nut? They're still functional on a guitar with a Floyd since all they really do is make changing strings faster, but personally I just string them backwards on my guitars with Floyds which is even faster and easier still.

Sorry, good point....I forgot to say "non-locking nut Floyd-equipped guitars".

Last edited:

nebulon

Why the hate for locking tuners?

They fart in elevators. They pee in public pools. They talk loudly on their cell phones in public while waving their hands around, often hitting people "on accident". They drive slow in the fast lane and simply wave when you flash your brights at them. They eat ice cream directly from the container when they visit you. They use your toothbrush without asking. They take the last beer. The refuse to use utensils when eating spaghetti or soup. They really (REALLY) like Old Spice aftershave. And, as if that wasn't enough, their cell phone ring-tone is 'Ache-y-Break-y Heart' by Bill Ray Cyrus.

But maybe it's just me.

Chris Scott

Huh? Every PRS with a trem comes with locking tuners, and they literally always have, including DGT's...

Sorry man, my bad. It wasn't a DGT (though I did have one at the same time...lovely guitar once I swapped the vol. controls around :cool: ), it was an SE. Fwiw, iirc the SE line came with std. tuners, though I'm told there's an upgrade now.

At any rate, sorry for the brain fart.

ramblin_pony

I really dislike them. They add weight and are more complicated, and in my experience they break strings. Besides that I've found them to be completely unnecessary, even with a trem. I just wind the strings nicely and all is fine. So to me they are heavier, ugly, and just something else to break and maintain. Give me simplicity in all aspects of my equipment is my view.

Twin

Silver Supporting Member
I love locking tuners, so convenient, especially at my age, I would never go back.

GreatGreen

"Back in my day I had to walk to school everyday barefoot in the snow, up hill both ways, and life shouldn't be any easier for anybody else. Locking tuners have zero negative effect on your guitar other than making your life easier so you're WEAK if you use them but you're COOL AND TOUGH if you don't because it makes your life harder for no reason" the idiot said about the electric guitar, an instrument that would not be impossible without electricity, a technology which makes our lives infinitely easier and more comfortable than we would be without it.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I've had people at gigs comment on my Jazzmaster or 335 that "you don't need those, learn to use the vintage ones"

Anyone else experience this?
No.

I don't talk to people like that.

Aquinas

No.

I don't talk to people like that.
I think this might have been an age thing, as well - I haven't had that happen in a while, and it was when I was in my 20's that it would. The perpetrators were almost (though not quite) always 50+...

And they came up to me!

Might also be a location thing - never had it happen in California (outside something like an Amp Show setting - one of the more memorable occasions was there) or Spain, only in Texas - I think the inherent cultural gregariousness plays a part.

I think this might have been an age thing, as well - I haven't had that happen in a while, and it was when I was in my 20's that it would. The perpetrators were almost (though not quite) always 50+...

And they came up to me!

Might also be a location thing - never had it happen in California (outside something like an Amp Show setting - one of the more memorable occasions was there) or Spain, only in Texas - I think the inherent cultural gregariousness plays a part.
This type of garbage used to happen to me in NYC all the time. Guy spent 5 minutes complimenting me to end with “but you’d sound so much better on a Les Paul.” :messedup

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
They work for me, simpler to load, quicker to settle, not necessarily heavier. And the most pleasurable, eliminates string tees and adds stability, reducing my need to tune. I know you can wind down with Kluson etc. All of my non vintage guitars have locking Sperzel or Schaller/ Fender tuners. Cuts my string change time way down.

rockon1

Silver Supporting Member
Nothing will make a 6 screw fender trem stable like locking tuners! Love em. My $129 bullet strat with locking tuners installed- very stable even with the original bridge!

twoheadedboy

I've only had locking tuners on one guitar, and on that guitar I had problems with the strings slipping. Maybe it was a case of user error. Based on my experiences so far, I think I'd rather have a locking nut than locking tuners.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member

And they came up to me!

Interesting.

As I thought about it, my 335 that I use for Jazz gigs doesn't have locking tuners so it never came up. My Strat that does only gets used at my Funk/R&B gigs and no one as ever come up to me and asked about my guitar hardware. In fact all I've ever heard was "Nice guitar!" if anything at all.

I was speaking tongue in cheek when I said "I don't talk to people like that" . The truth is that people like that don't talk to me. The only thing I'm likely to get called on would be playing a solidbody at a Jazz gig. Philly has some old school purist that don't take solidbody players seriously. Real BS but it is what it is.

FoundIt

Silver Supporting Member
Every guitar I own, or will own, has them. Just preference. I love how quick to fix a broken string in a rush. Every time I get a new guitar I do two things the very first day. First, I make sure it has strap locks. Second it gets locking tuners if it doesn't already have them. Hate the ones that need a coin also. I am sure it doesn't help, but it doesn't hurt and I like them. Use whatever you like and I won't say a word.

FoundIt

Silver Supporting Member
The only thing I'm likely to get called on would be playing a solidbody at a Jazz gig. Philly has some old school purist that don't take solidbody players seriously.
That's ok. Lot of rockers didn't take Nugent and his Byrdland serious. Their mistake. Like him or not, there's no denying the Byrdland didn't hinder him. :) Play what you like that makes you want to play more.

p.j.

I love locking tuners because they make string changing so much faster and easier. I even have locking tuners on one of my Danelectros.

Ray175

Out of my 10 guitars only one has locking tuners, a 1980 Ibanez AS200. To be honest I don't notice any difference in tuning stability compared to my other guitars (strats, teles, other vintage Ibanez, guild, 1961 ES-175D) where I under/over wrap the strings and have no stability problems, except for an occasional dud string. I can understand people appreciating a 'faster' string change régime, so if it floats their boat and they are happy rthen why not?

Trending Topics