Why the "*" ?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by KCblues, Jul 28, 2005.

1. KCblues

KCblues Member

Just curious as to why everyone seems to avoid using the "D" in Dumble ?

2. Curt

Curt Member

I always laugh when I see people do that.

3. Normster

Normster Member

Beats the hell out of me. I just did it cuz I saw everyone else do it. Figured it was like a secret code or something. ;)

4. KCblues

KCblues Member

So, it's like the secret handshake then! ;)

5. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Apparantly, Mr Dumble doesn't like people sharing proprietary information about his amps and has threatened people for doing so.

Some of the information in question probably isn't proprietary, but I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised that an inventor wouldn't want proprietary information about his amps/inventions distributed freely.

After all, in any other profession this would be known as "intellectual property".

6. scottl

scottl Member

So serious Mike? Actually I think it is somewhat of a tongue in cheek joke. It is mostly used in general threads and not discussions of proprietary info fwiw..... Search the forums. People just like adding the *, it contributes to the mystique. Most threats I have heard about have nothing to do with Dumble circuit discussions but with using his name when selling other companies gear. It is a perfectly legal sales tactic to compare one brand to another in a stylistic comparison.

Scott

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Yeah, it it used tongue in cheek to be sure. But I'm pretty sure the origin of this whole thing is as I've described it.

Imagine your employer suddenly deciding to give his product, service, or proprietary information away for free. Imagine the impact on your income;)

8. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

9. KCblues

KCblues Member

Ah, c'mon Quick*raw... you're hol*ing out on us!

10. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

seriously, i *on't know.

wouldn't it be funny to start a amp company named "*umble"

11. hasserl

hasserl Member

Why should this be so hard to imagine? It used to be fairly common practice to make schematics available for any electronic device.

12. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Here's an idea. Why not ask Cisco for schematics and source code for their routers. They make a lot more money than Dumble ever did, so they should be perfectly willing to give their proprietary information away, right?;)

13. Normster

Normster Member

It would seem that this thread is taking a serious turn, so let me throw my .02 into the ring. First off, I'm a project manager for a software company so I fully understand piracy, patent infringments and the like. However, there is very little that's propietary about most of these schematics and photos. In fact, I saw very little difference between the Dumble schematics and a few Fenders.

Having completed my "dumble clone" I can only say that it will never sound like a Dumble. Howard is in no danger of me stealing business from him, and I'm pretty sure he would never build an amp for me anyway.

I'm reasonably sure that it's Howard Dumble that makes the amp sound great, not the design topology or part values. He's a DaVinci and I'm just a guy who wants to hang a poster of the Mona Lisa. :D

I think of it more like my old hot rod days. I used to go to car shows and races and learn whatever I could about high performance parts. Then I'd try the stuff on my own car. While I was certainly faster (and louder) than stock, the pros could have cleaned my clock any day.

14. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Come on! LOL, you must have noticed some differences between the preamp sections.:D

15. Normster

Normster Member

OK, I guess that was a stretch. ;)

16. LHanson

LHanson Member

BTW, I'm told that you NEVER call him Howard.