Why was the Hellbilly discontinued?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 50Cal, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 50Cal

50Cal Member

Was there any warning that this was going to happen?

2. jpagey

jpagey Member

I think it was supposed to be a limited edition, but I am not 100%. You see them on TGP Emporium from time to time. It was a nice pedal. Lovepedal has been making a pedal called "BBB" for a few years. It is more expensive but will do the Hellbilly thing and more. Gainster has clips of his, but I think he calls it the "BadMoFo". The BBB is one of the most versatile pedals I own.

3. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

I'd really love to check out the Hellbilly too. Hopefully I'll catch one somewhere. Clips sound good!!

4. playon

playon Supporting Member

Can the BBB do that non-sustainy, gritty thing that the Hellbilly does really well? I love that, my only complaint about the Hellbilly is that it's a bit on the low-fi side with the EQ knob.

5. jpagey

jpagey Member

I'm playing mine right now. I played them side to side and felt the BBB did everything the HB did, and more. My BBB has more range and the tone "feels" warmer. But Sean can tailor the BBB anyway you want. I have had 3 and they sounded different depending on what the owner wanted. Give me a song example of the tone you are asking about. I am using a Strat with lil '59's in neck and bridge and stacked strat in the middle into my Songworks LL and cab, set semi-clean.

6. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

The Hellbilly is/was a McFuzz 'lite/mini' ;) (smaller box and regular AC tap)

7. b_rad

b_rad Member

The Hellbilly wasn't ever planned as a permanent product. We were pretty much playing it by ear. The discontinuation was kind of sudden, but I respect Bob's wishes. I would happily keep selling them forever, but it wasn't my call. Having said that, on my end the door is always open for another project between us.

8. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I got a McFuzz yesterday, and while it does do a great fuzz (and overdrive at lower gain) sound, the hellbilly's tone knob seemed to do a lot more than the McFuzz does. I wish I had my hellbilly back to do a little A/B'ing. Sucks to be at the point where you gotta sell 'em to buy 'em. Oh well...

By the way, running the RC booster into the McFuzz sounds really really great. So luckily it doesn't have to be first in the chain (though there is a bit of squeal with my vox v848 when the fuzz is maxed.

Oh yeah, this thread is about the hellbilly -sorry :eek: . Cool pedal!

9. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

thanks brad, you know what i mean?
    aldo....
    i'm gonna ask bob to call ya.

10. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah it is different than the McFuzz - I belive Bob said publicly that it was less germ and more sili,,,, and yeah even if it was the same tone control it would have a different effect, but thats about all the light I have t o shed...

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Jpagey-

I totally agree. I had both the Hellbilly and the BBB and found that the BBB could cover the HB's territory and much much more. It stayed.

12. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Is this also what happened to the Squeeze Factor? Someone said they wanted one but they aren't at Tone Factor anymore.

13. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I can understand it. I don't think it was too widely know (beyond FX forums) that this was effectively a Pedalworx pedal. You could almost liken it to Zvex marketing the SHO under a different brandname.

14. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

I'm really sad to hear that the Hellbilly is discontinued. I love mine and considered picking up another one for my second pedalboard. Regarding the BBB, I'm sure it sounds good but I've never liked any of the lovepedal pedals so I'm hesitant to try one. Everyone else seems to like them, though.