Why was the Tremoverb discontinued?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PiRaSSiC, Dec 14, 2005.

1. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Guest

it's an amazing amp! the blues mode is great, reverb is very useful, tremolo is very sweet.
    It is very versatile, beatiful and great sounding.

So why it's been discontinued? Maybe because mesa was aiming at the nu-metal market and decided to focus on the heavy rock market?

2. Greggy

Greggy Member

You know, I've often wondered the same thing. I saw one used at GC about a year ago, and kick myself for not buying it then and there.

3. Riscchip

Riscchip Member

The simple answer must be that it wasn't selling very well...at least not well enough to justify the cost of making it. If it was popular, they would probably have kept up with it.

4. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Guest

i dont think cost is the answer... the tremoverb is a son of the rectifier solo head... and shares much circuitry... so it's not a completely new beast requiring years of research and fine tuning...

5. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I have an older Tremoverb combo. .It's a great amp. Personally I'd think it was discontinued for the ROAD KING. The Tremoverb is missing only a few features and 1 of them is accessing all 4 modes it has.. I.e. it's a 4 channel amp but really only capable of 2 channels at a time. I think the ROad King was the next step in the evolution. I'm sure if you search around the net , the "REAL" answer has been posted before, or otherwise ,just contact Mesa and they'll tell you. Have fun

ERIC

6. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

There's quite a time lapse between the T-verb and R/K. I have a catalog from @ 1995-6, they were touting the T-verb as "the most awesome big amp we make..." Makes you wonder...

7. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

The time lapse isn't quite as much as you think though.. The Road King was advertised at least a year before it came out for sale. It's just what I think , and I thoroughly understand where you're coming from! Remember also , there were Brand New TVerbs available last year at Guitar Centers , which were the final stock . (Real good prices too, as in new, cheaper than used)

ERIC

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

'Cause it was too durn HEAVY!!

9. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Similar example: Line 6 and the Echo Pro.

10. brucerehm

brucerehm Member

That's probably the reason I don't use mine more often. I have a head/cab and cab is heavy too. I'm going to take a crack at building a couple of lighter cabs that I can leave at our rehearsal space and maybe I'll start using it again.

I agree, the "blues mode" is a great sound. I've tried it with 6V6's too -- really cuts the volume down. I think the best setup I've tried is with 6L6's with the EL-34 power tube setting and the SS rectifier. This is all per Bob at Eurotubes' recommendations, if you weren't already aware of them.

11. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I had one along with the matching 4x12 rect cab and a 2x12 vert cab with an fx rack/poweramp setup for the dry/wet setup

I got rid of mine because I just got tired of the Mesa tone

12. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

because the other amp builders got mad and starting sendin MEsa letters cause they were afraid that the beast would eat their amps on stage?

Becasue the Tverb attacked some other amps when on stage?

I don't know, heheheh:JAM

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Because I have one. They were afraid I might buy another.

14. PiRaSSiC

PiRaSSiC Guest

Or maybe they wanted to better separate the amps... the blues , with the lonestar, the rockers, with the rectifier....

I dont think the road king is the real heir to the tremoverb, because it's a totally new beast with lots of new features, different sounds, complexity, and it costs twice as much!

15. iambloomsurf

iambloomsurf Member

bringing this post back from the grave, as i just bought one used from GC.... i've been avoiding mesa's for a long time because all i've heard is dual recs sounding like **** covered in mud, and lonestars sounding good, but not as good as my Fargen modded Fender HR Deville 410. But let me tell you, i sat down with the Tverb for about 30 minutes at the store and got GREAT dirt, rock, metal, blues, EVERYTHING. granted the cleans weren't quite as good as my fender, but with the versatility this thing has, it's more than good enough. The only thing I wish was that it was a true four channel amp so i could use the modern high gain ch with the blues ch.... Nonetheless, this amp totally changed my mind about mesa in general.... and for 1250 with a leather shell and custom grill, who could ask for more?

16. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

They have a long tradition of discontinuing their best-sounding amps! The IIC+ and Heartbreaker were others. My bandmate had a T-Verb and I always thought it absolutely kicked ass. He did replace it with a IIC+ combo, but I liked the cleans on the T-verb better, but it could be teh way he dialed the IIC+.

17. davestrings11

davestrings11 Member

What gc did u get it at? I want to trade my dual rec for one of these babys

18. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

indeed! try lugging a tremoverb combo up a few flights of steps :eeks

my buddy Juan Montoya (ex Torche guitarist) had a Tremoverb that died on him.

i managed to BEG my amp tech George Scholz to work on it (he refuses to work on most Mesa amps)

George ripped out ALL of the simulclass stuff and most of the complicated circuitry, and turned that amp into a straight up 100 watt firebreathing combo :YinYang

i gotta call Juan and see if he still has it. after George was done with it, it was the best sounding Mesa combo i had ever heard!

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>indeed! try lugging a tremoverb combo up a few flights of steps<<

Haha! Especially if you're over 50!!

I think it's Mesa's best amp ever, though, for that blues channel. Wish I still had mine.

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

FTW.

It's easy to attribute its demise to many factors but I'm sure that it was the weight. Anyone who tried to pick one up would immediately start thinking about other options.

It was the only combo I've ever hefted that was significantly heavier than a Super Reverb.

Even the original Guitar Player review cautioned that you'd better be pretty buff if you're even thinking about getting on of these.