Why Was Weight Relief Such a Big Deal?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jabby92, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Les Paul personally believed that the mass in the body and neck contributed to the tone. He can nsisted that weight relief affected classic Les Paul guitar tone negatively fwiw.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  2. AprioriMark

AprioriMark Supporting Member

Chambered LPs are best LPs.

-Mark

BigDoug1053 and shane8 like this.
  3. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Member

Has this guitar been weight relieved too much? I don't know, but it's super light and it's got tone for days!

[​IMG]

4. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

There's no (or very little difference in tone) between a Swiss cheese LP and a regular LP. The big audible difference is between the "cloud" CR series of chambered LPs. I'm not saying that the CRs are better or worse than Historics, because I've never owned a chambered on to compare my Historic LPs to.

I think @stevieboy might be able to shed some light on the differences since I believe he owns a CR and a regular LP.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. Otter351

Otter351 Member

There are many, many types of mahogany. When a guitar is not made from a known tonewood, manufacturers tend to just list the closest generic species that players will recognize.

Bassopotamus and CjRuckus like this.
  6. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

Yeah, my favorite guitar turned out to be a mahogany 10 pounder (Schecter c1 of all things) but found a unchambered mahogany Ibanez archtop that was only 7.8... go figure. That 2.2 # difference feels like 5...

7. DV52

DV52 Member

Well I don't know about any of that but a guy with a bad back was glad when they came out with the ESLesPaul . I wound up with a CS336 and it is Good !!!

8. xmd5a

xmd5a Member

Low impedance designs, like the Lace Alumitone.

9. m@2

m@2 Member

My accordion weighs about 25 pounds. My guitar feels like a feather after I play that sunnuvabich!

BigDoug1053, I_cant_play and shane8 like this.
  10. David Garner

David Garner Gold Supporting Member

Joke's on them. I have a 93 Standard and a 16 Trad, both of which have swiss cheese weight relief. I store the tone in the holes in the body, where it oozes out every time I play.

I keep the mojo in the control cavity, but I have to replace it sometimes when it leaks out.

kunos, GuitarGalah, JoeB63 and 3 others like this.
  11. Droliver

Droliver Member

Well, even Gibson has jumped around sourcing mahogany over the last 70 years with several different species used and different parts of central and South American (and even Fiji) used. Like I mentioned, Eastman seems to be able to reliably source one piece mahogany bodies, that are certainly indistinguishable from traditional Honduras mahogany, that come in under 8 lbs

Bassopotamus likes this.
  12. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

Yeah my 02 Standard is a weight relieved manageable 9 pounds. If it was a solid wood 10 pounds, there's no way at 58 years old I'd own it.

13. muzishun

muzishun Member

Bastids!

shane8 likes this.
  14. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Member

Eastman is most certainly not sourcing one piece, lightweight Honduran mahogany for their guitar bodies...they would lose money on each guitar. They have to be using some of the many other species of mahogany (or mahogany like) woods that are more readily available, lighter, and more cost effective. Doesn't mean the guitars don't sound or look good, but you have to compare apples to apples...

15. CjRuckus

CjRuckus Member

So Eastman is doing what Epiphone is doing now?

16. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Member

I have no idea what Eastman is doing, but I do know that true Honduran Mahogany (Swietenia macrophylla) one piece blanks, that are both lightweight and large enough for a Les Paul style guitar, are getting very expensive and scarce. It's just not possible to build the SB59's using that wood species at the price point they sell at.

17. jvin248

jvin248 Member

+1 "if it wasn't that way in the 50s then it's blasphemy" That's what it's all about. Gibson's brand is built on the fact that their brand built those 1950s guitars. Funny part is they are built three states away, by new workers, in a new plant with new machinery. If you want the real thing you need to look for Heritage Guitars.

Why doesn't Gibson fix that headstock breakage problem? Same reason. And the problem is pushed over into the guitar owners. If it breaks it must be because the owner mishandled it. If your car doesn't stop it must be you didn't press hard enough not the poorly designed brakes...

The solution is to figure out where tone comes from. Don't listen to Marketing. Do a bunch of real scientific testing and you'll find out where spending your money makes all the difference in tone. Or you can believe in the magic and mystery and spend your money there.

My list, yours may differ depending on how diligently you test:
    -Player (more skills provides better tone)
    -Fretwork (more playable means better tone, $100 starter models can play like $3000 custom shop models if the same work is done on the frets)
    -Pickups (not just wire and magnets but how the wire is put on the bobbin) and setup distance to the strings.
    -Control electronics (pots and caps can push tone all around, for a tenth the cost of swapping pickups)

So I find all the arguments about weight relief range from charming to entertaining.

the_Chris, I_cant_play and shane8 like this.
  18. deepcove17

deepcove17 Supporting Member

I grew up playing Norlin Les Pauls. For myself I associate Heaviness with a Les Paul. I own a 1979 Custom, a 2001 Studio ( Swiss cheese) and a 2018 Classic. All my Les Pauls are over 10 lbs and just feel solid and well built. The 2018 classic appealed to me because it is solid, and a damn nice guitar with P90's. So yeah I guess Gibson realizes there is a market for this or acknowledges tradition. I have picked up and played a couple chambered Les Pauls and one of them had beautiful sustain but honestly felt like a Walmart toy. For me hollow light Les Pauls feel like an inexpensive guitar.

Also I play mostly standing up at age 50.

19. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I'd like to get a weight relieved semi-hollow.

BigDoug1053 and the_Chris like this.
  20. shane8

shane8 Member

next up - 335s are made of plywood

I could care less since most solid bodies already have plenty of holes

imagine a trem strat with a swimming pool rout :eek:

theon, DPiddy, RicOkc and 1 other person like this.