Why wasn't I told about 43 mm nuts on Strats?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by The Interceptor, Jun 1, 2019.

1. The Interceptor

The Interceptor Member

I recently bought an Amercian Performer Strat to replace my Player Strat. I've had both MIM and US Strats before and they've come and gone, with me not really understanding why I liked some and others not so much.

But I noticed an older American Special (2 Fenders ago, probably shouldn't have sold it) had a very comfortable string spacing. My Player Strat didn't have this; it had a 42 mm nut. Seemingly that 1 mm makes a real difference; I find chords much easier to finger on the 43 mm nut. I now wouldn't buy anything else (which appears to rule out quite a few S-type guitars, but not most of the US Fenders).

Similarly I don't want anything other than jumbo frets. Perhaps that's another story.

fretless likes this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

My Jeff Beck strat has a 43mm nut. Yes, it makes a difference. I've also got some Grosh and Collings gtrs, all with 1 11/16 nuts. I can't manuever properly on a skinny nutted guitar. Nice to have choices. Fretwise, it's med jumbo 6150 for me.

3. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

From all I know , Fender is either 1.650 or 1.6875 with rare exception. 99% of MIM is 1.650. almost all non vintage type MIA is 1.6875. That’s a pretty good rule of thumb.

fretless likes this.
  4. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Yeah, 1mm can make a huge difference. I don't like wide nuts. 42mm and 41 on some feels so good on the first frets!
    Otoh: I have guitars with 43mm nuts and don't really get played as much, but take them as a whole (like RGs from Ibanez).

5. DC1

DC1 Member

Only 1.75” (44.45mm) for me, so it’s custom only. Can’t stand skinny little necks!

dc

stratocat63 and Natetime like this.
  6. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

43mm is 1 11/16”? That’s what all the American standards have been for eons, I believe.

If you like that and jumbo frets, and want to stick to Fenders, look at highway 1 and American special models.

Vintage-correct Fender is narrower. Play what you like!

7. sunburster

sunburster Member

I had a 1999 AVRI62 Jaguar that had a 43mm nut. It was really nice to play. I've never played another AVRI with that nut width (all the other have been 42 or less). But it shows they are out there!

8. aldocello

aldocello Member

Duh. I've been trying to tell you guys this for ages.

9. FiestaRed869

FiestaRed869 Member

Fender has done an amazing job with their website and showing specs. Every model shows nut width. They even show neck measurements at the 1st and 12th

freedom's door likes this.
  10. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

Yes I have to pass on a lot of stuff when I am looking. Sucks in that regard. It started with archtops from the '50s. My old Strat made for teens felt really tiny after that. I can hang with a 1 11/16" if it has a big profile, sort of have to to play Gibson semi hollows.

Even my 1.75" fat/boat large type profiles have me thinking about wider and still big but just a bit less shoulder. Bet that could ruin 1/16" for me though.

DC1 likes this.
  11. Antmax

Antmax Member

I have a 1.75 and it really helps with chords up by the nut where things can get quite cramped with stubby fingers. I can play things with American or import neck too, it's just more effort to form shapes cleanly.

DC1 likes this.
  12. stratocat63

stratocat63 Supporting Member

It buys a bit on the outside edges too if you go really wide and use a bit narrower string spacing. I want to acquire nut slotting skills because people really overcharge for that type of thing and about all that don't, there is always something when I get it back.