"Why we give our money away"

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jon Silberman, Feb 13, 2018.

1. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I think Melinda had a huge impact on his personal and business ethics. The guy was an unethical shark and a big part of what is wrong with capitalism, imo.

However, considering what they've done with this wealth, gained legally but not ethically, I can give him a pass at this point because I believe they have done more good than bad. Again, just my opinion.

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Such cynicism doesn't become you.

morlll, MCSS1970 and marktweedy like this.
  3. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Indeed.

AZChilicat likes this.
  4. Last'sGal

Last'sGal Member

Surely you’ve been paying enough attention to know such cynicism is me.

That said, I didn’t say all. :)

Zeegler and derekd like this.
  5. Route234

Route234 Member

The fact that people like you focus entirely on what hes given away and not what he has taken makes my point better than I could have made it myself.

6. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

"People like me." Sweet. Does this mean I have a posse?

morlll, marktweedy and derekd like this.
  7. Last'sGal

Last'sGal Member

People like you is fighting words, brother. Slow that roll a little. I think I get what you’re saying, though. Kind of a messed up Robinhood: rob from the middle and give to the poor.

8. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have been, and this is a regular sort of comment you make. I wonder what has made you so cynical about the poor.

It really doesn't seem to fit most of what you contribute. Of course, I only know what little you put of your self out here. However, you seem to be a very hard-working, conscientious person who has little tolerance for BS. You seem to give and value loyalty and have a wicked sense of humor.

I always enjoy reading your take on things, but at times, the bite is a bit jarring.

Last'sGal likes this.
  9. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I would too.

Heck, the benevolent, charitable guy that I am, I wouldn't wait nearly as long as him before giving it away. I'd start after the first measly $100 million or so.

10. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Member

Less than $2.00-$2.50 a day.

http://www.globalissues.org/article/26/poverty-facts-and-stats

S

marktweedy likes this.
  11. Last'sGal

Last'sGal Member

That is me, actually. :) My cynicism when it comes to the poor comes from growing up dirt poor.

The chip isn’t actually with the poor, but with those like the ones I grew up with... poor people who are miserable, but unwilling to do a thing to better their position except hold their hand out. IMHO, society as a whole should have a problem with that.

scott58 and derekd like this.
  12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

And I would ask the question, what set of circumstances caused someone to settle for a life of poverty? How did they get to the point to where living a subsistence life and always asking for a handout is viewed as their best option?

It has been my experience those who wind up this way came by it honestly. Certainly, there are a few derelicts who seem to be missing some fundamental pieces the rest of us take for granted, but what I mostly see with the poor is some variation of learned helplessness.

Our society does not allow people to rise above the poor classes as easily as it used to, which is unfortunate. Education remains the best way, but that only works for maybe half the population and they have to figure out how to pay for it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. Last'sGal

Last'sGal Member

I can see that you and I have vastly different backgrounds, and that’s okay. Putting myself in your POV, I’d agree you’re right that most people don’t get there on their own. I’d also agree that, regardless of how they got there, they usually have “help” in the choice to stay there.

I can’t really go any further from my own POV without risking a vacation, though, so I’ll leave it at that. :)

14. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I grew up poor, food stamps and free lunch at school, until my mom remarried and rocketed us into middle class. College wasn't on the table prior.

Finishing HS and working skilled labor (oil field or tire factory) were the options on the horizons around here. Nothing wrong with those choices, and I had a solid work ethic instilled in me at an early age. When I look at those with whom I grew up and see them struggling, it is easy to point to abuse, addictions and other sorts of chaotic elements that seemed to keep them from moving forward in life.

I don't want you to risk time away at club mod, though I understand the weather there is lovely this time of year.

MCSS1970, MrSteve and Last'sGal like this.
  15. MrSteve

MrSteve Gold Supporting Member

Rumor has it that Bill and Mindy do NOT tip when they get takeout from the Olive Garden.

68dripedge likes this.
  16. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

Less than $2500 per week.

68dripedge likes this.
  17. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

And...there it is.

18. Nevets

Nevets Supporting Member

Nobody ever gave me a free malaria shot, is all I'm sayin'!

68dripedge likes this.