• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why Wont Guitarists Move on From the Past and Become More Creative

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrNebulous

New Version
I always see guitarists have an obsession with guitarists from the past. That is fine, but I also see guitarists EMULATE the past. I believe emulating the past is pointless. Music is an art. Arts are for creativity and innovation. When did emulation represent creativity? The past is very important for learning foundations to build upon your own style. Within music, I believe innovation is key, however subtle. If all a guitarist does is copy note for note songs of a guitarists solo from the past, how could he/she be classed as a musician? Anybody on earth can do that with enough time playing guitar. Also, what are they contributing to music (however small)? I think it's vital to have inspirations from older musicians, but then I believe you ought to take what you have further to whatever degree you can. Some people will find an older guitarist, such as Page or Hendrix, buy all their signature guitars, amps, pedals etc and then try to emulate them. What is the point of that? You aren't that guitarist, you are yourself. You need to be yourself, you can't be no one else. The past has been and gone now, and it will never come back. I believe sounding LIKE another artist, then taking it further is fine. I just think that generally, within the guitar community, people have crashed in a time warp.

Reason for editing:
Here is a new version of the 'Jimmy pigging page'. I guess people from America (which are the majority on this site) are somewhat more sensitive to a bit of aggression, or they just didn't understand a post written in a Brit style or whatever. Here is the new version of the thread which people from all English speaking countries will understand, and not just Brits.

Last edited:

GulfportBound

Amen, brother. I have my guitar models (plural) and my models as bluesmen, but I'd rather sound like one guitarist and be one bluesman---me.

DrNebulous

Amen, brother. I have my guitar models (plural) and my models as bluesmen, but I'd rather sound like one guitarist and be one bluesman---me.

Exactly. You learned about blues, and then you became creative with what you learned, and made it unique. Great. This is the method all the important musicians have.
People seem to rebel against progress and change. However much they rebel, the nature of life is change and progress. As you may of guessed, I believe that professional classical orchestra 'musicians' are as useless. What are classical violinists contributing to musical progress?

Smakutus

It's the songs he has been involved with throughout his career... They hold up wayy better than most of the "great" guitar players music that people love so much here.

Jeff

GerryJ

Move on and look forward to the future.

In their regard for change, men playing rock music using electric guitars are actually a very conservative group, not politically but musically. Not my observation, but first noticed ~ 25 yrs ago and still holds true. And of course it's not universal.

cob666

Jimmy Page hasn't contributed much to music? :jo

This has to be pretty close to the top of the list as far as trolling goes.

sanhozay

klon free since 2009
Gold Supporting Member
decent guitarists?

frankly, doctor nebulous i find you perspective rather...err, nebulous.

tj1004

Foolish post. Go listen to your Jack White **** while you wonder why people like Jimmy Page. :jo

michael patrick

Loud and proud
Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, those classical cats, why can't they move on from Beethoven and Bach? They sound so dated. It's 2012! Why are people trying to relive the 1700 and 1800s? It's good to learn from the past, but it's terrible to imitate it.

ggwwbb

Silver Supporting Member
The very fact that we are still talking about him on a forum that is (for the most part) always looking for something new is, in itself, the answer to the OP's question.......

In 35 years, I'm relatively sure that we will still be talking about Jimmy Page (and his contemporaries), while noboby will even remember anyone (save for a very few) from this era.

IMO, the reason is that back then they wrote songs for themselves, not really worrying about what was going to sell, which ended up being great songs. Nowadays, there are 15 or 20 bands (or more) that all sound exactly the same and are, to a T, following a "formula" for writing a "hit"......completely uninspiring and it makes listening to the radio horribly boring.....

Polynitro

"What would you say is the best pedal for the sound of knocking on heavens door by guns n roses"

-Dr Nebulous

Serious Poo