Why would Jonny Buckland (Coldplay) change from twin reverbs to HR devilles?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by robojim4000, Mar 20, 2008.

1. robojim4000

robojim4000 Member

Hi, if you watch early coldplay videos JB of coldplay seems to be using 'one of the best clean amps ever', a silverface fender twin reverb. Ever since 2000 he's (and chris martin) been using Hot Rod Devilles - a drop in quality?

loads of people use these HR Devilles, is it any way better than the twin reverbs?

im looking for a new amp that will take pedals well. I have a bluesbreaker and tried an ac30 and they didnt react great to pedals. I borrowed a deville, and my ears couldnt fault it, but i feel bad, cos everyone says 'its cheap sounding' and 'nothing compared to xxxxxxx'

any thoughts?

2. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

There are a lot of people that really rate the HR Devilles clean tones as some of the best out there.

3. robojim4000

robojim4000 Member

well from my own experience, i would agree

4. M I K E D.

M I K E D. Supporting Member

Bluesbreaker= no pedals needed!

For me those newer fender combos are a great value-great sounding cleans.

5. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

And a lot lighter than a twin!

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

I think that I read somewhere that he said that the DeVilles were easier to rent when needed than the Twins. He mentioned getting tired of specifying a Twin and getting one of the red knob versions. It was from a magazine a couple years ago.

7. Zim

Zim Member

easier to replace if stolen, or blows up.

And is one of the best CLEAN tones out there. The od...... well..... It likes pedals, lol.

8. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

9. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

HR Deville has one of the best clean tones ever. It has out performed every boutique amp I have A/bd it with other than the Brunos. I kept the HR Deville and sold my 66 Super reverb, and I have made direct blind A/B clips with it and my 65-66 Pro reverb, and the results were pretty much split down the middle as to which one guys thought sounded better. The 65-66 Pro reverb is known as one of the gretest sounding amps ever made by the way. Devilles flat out smoke!

10. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Ya they're great sounding amps and easily procured. Also they seem to be kinda trendy with Indie and other genres.

11. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

if anybody has been on a tour here you would understand that availability of rental and getting this replaced in a hr or so if it breaks down would be so important...hey at the end of the day his hands and mind are the tone he just works the tools...gr8 band coldplay

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I have a Hot Rod DLX I don't think the clean tones are not half as good as my 1970 super reverb.

13. bynt

bynt Member

Yeah, I've got to say, the clean tones for those really are nice. I'm not so sure I like them super loud with the stock speaker (I never switched out the speaker in mine, I just traded it for a Silverface Twin, coincedintally) but they sound REALLY good and bassy to me stock. I say that because a lot of folks swear by them with a speaker change but I've never heard it personally.

I could totally see where it would be a benny to play through that though because you can get one anywhere which would be a bonus if one was renting on tour.

I was surprised the other night when I saw Shooter Jennings as his guitar player had some really high end gear (pedal board all Fulltone and vintage, I believe an R9 [couldn't tell] and the obligatory Telecaster [maybe a 52RI? couldn't tell that either but it was "well used" to say the least]) and his amp? Hot Rod Deluxe. Was really ice picky though, even with the Les Paul.

My main problem with them is the reliability if you're lugging them around a lot but if you're renting them at every show, big deal.

I need to listen to more Coldplay, what I've heard I've REALLY liked. Guy's got tone.

14. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

on the one hand they have a lot more mid emphasis and a more reactive EQ.

The twin is a great sound, but its not really a modern clean sound and it doesn't do a lot of different clean and mid-gain sounds.

15. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Why would anyone assume that the HR DeVille is inferior in cleans? Because it can't be traced back to the 50's or 60's?

The OD channels are a little problematic, though they work pretty well with me because I use them only very slightly OD'ed...

But the cleans are great on the amp.

16. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

I agree about the od channel. The gain must be quite low. Set that that, and the channel up, it sounded great.

17. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

maybe he uses 4x10s . . . somewhat diff. beast. . . i also find that the hot rod series to have good control over the grit via the MV function. . . actually, excellent control. forget about the dirt channels. not super-necessary when you are using a nice fuzzy rat. . .

18. Derelict

Derelict Member

the cleans are, as mentioned, great on those. the od channel, well, meh. with a jensen P12N the hotrod deluxe sounds WAY better. imo, the best OD is cranking the clean channel with a strat.

19. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Actually the OD channels are excellently suited for Indie, especially when used with s P90 equipped guitar or Tele.

20. jakins

jakins Member

i got one of the blues deville 212's when they came out in the early 90's and really regret getting rid of it a few years ago...that amp had some insanely good cleans IMO...but what do i know?