• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Why would Vox wah pedals not have true bypass?

matt1969

This thread is funny. I just did the opposite! I just turned my modded true bypass Vox wah back to it's original wiring.:bonk I like how the original wiring changed my tone going into my superlead. Takes some of the edge off so to speak.:hide2

True bypass isn't always the best sound.

Classic09

This thread is funny. I just did the opposite! I just turned my modded true bypass Vox wah back to it's original wiring.:bonk I like how the original wiring changed my tone going into my superlead. Takes some of the edge off so to speak.:hide2

True bypass isn't always the best sound.
The True By Pass discussion is only relevant in certain circumstances. A non-TBP wah into a bright amp really helps reduce the edge.

The P-Man

This is what has led some people to think that true bypassing a wah produces a level drop in the effect. It doesn't - true bypassing only changes what happens when the pedal is off. When it's on, everything is exactly the same as before the mod. So there's no change to the effect level. Rather, it is the dry signal that changes - when you no longer have the loading there, it gets back to its original strength, and the wah is no longer completely matched to that. In the GCB-95 (where Dunlop partly corrected the loading issue), they also made the wah itself slightly louder to match. And with an old V847 (the battery only model), it can be a good idea to do the same when true bypassing it.
Apologies for the thread resurrection but there is some really good info here and yours is the only comment I have found specifically referring to this issue. I bought a couple of 2nd hand USA V847 on the basis that Marc Ford has historically used them and a couple of other local players .

Both pedals arrived and sounded great (they sound up there with my Teese Pic wah) but they significantly dulled the sound of my drive pedals down the chain. I did the true bypass mod to the one I intended to keep but when comparing them, it has definitely lost some of the strength of the wah tone.

There's a resistor from the emitter of the first transistor to ground that can be used to set the level of the wah effect. In the V847 it is 470 ohm (sometimes even 510 ohm), while the GCB-95 has a 390 ohm there instead. That's enough to balance it, if you feel the need (I'd make sure to try it first).
Is there any further detail or instruction you can point me towards on this. My skills are pretty limited so I don't want to go too deep into the modding 'rabbit hole'!

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
Apologies for the thread resurrection but there is some really good info here and yours is the only comment I have found specifically referring to this issue. I bought a couple of 2nd hand USA V847 on the basis that Marc Ford has historically used them and a couple of other local players .

Both pedals arrived and sounded great (they sound up there with my Teese Pic wah) but they significantly dulled the sound of my drive pedals down the chain. I did the true bypass mod to the one I intended to keep but when comparing them, it has definitely lost some of the strength of the wah tone.

Is there any further detail or instruction you can point me towards on this. My skills are pretty limited so I don't want to go too deep into the modding 'rabbit hole'!
It didn’t lose the strength of the wah tone. The bypass tone gained strength, making the wah tone sound weaker by comparison. Stinkfoot’s post earlier said which resistor to change to bring the wah signal back up to the bypass. It’s just the one, so not far down the proverbial rabbit hole, at all.

The P-Man

Thank you...I’m probably being thick but the page links to Dunlop mods...I can also see the mods for the Chinese v847 but cannot see the specific detail on the USA v847

It didn’t lose the strength of the wah tone. The bypass tone gained strength, making the wah tone sound weaker by comparison. Stinkfoot’s post earlier said which resistor to change to bring the wah signal back up to the bypass. It’s just the one, so not far down the proverbial rabbit hole, at all.
Yes, sorry, that certainly makes sense and a single resistor changes seems possible within my limited skills. Just not clear on exactly which resistor needs swapping

Trending Topics