Why would you use more than 1 nos Mullard pre amp tube in an amplifier ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BryanMatthews, Aug 3, 2008.

1. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I have 2 real deal 1960s Mullard pre amp tubes that I use for the V1 slot, the drive pre amp tube and yes, the tone is in another league to anything out there you can buy. one is in my amp and the other is a spare.the other pre amp tubes in the remaining slots are the excellent jj type.

Ive read posters saying there are 4 or 5 nos mullard pre amp tubes fitted to their amp and i ask myself , surely its only in V1 where it really counts, why waste nos tubes that are very expensive and scarce ?

what would be the benefit, if any, of fully loading your pre amp tube slots with scarce nos type ?

Bryan

2. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

Try putting the other Mullard in V2 and then the PI of your amp and report back.:)
    BTW,what amp are you using?

3. ed84246

ed84246 Member

Tube in your phase inverter can really affect the tone heavily.

4. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    I Like a continuety of Manufacturer metalurgy and construction for a base line while trying other choices. A shop standard so to speak that I can put back together after swaptronics as my Referance Tone

A 63 AC15 would have been Early 60's Mullard/Philips as Manufacture Stock For Pre/Power and Rectificaton why not My TopHat Supreme 16 as well.

Ditto on my Fenders RCA Blackplates Thats where I start to swap in other choices Even other RCA Tubes.

I find the Mullard Rectifier to be without peers

Its Really what you like but NOS Original Manufacture's Stock is a great base line

EnJoY The Music
    GrooVey Records

5. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

i also have general electric and brimar nos pre amp tubes, how would a tube of this quality make a difference in V2 ?

Bryan

6. NativH

NativH Member

I use Mullards in every position, cause I've got 'em. Why not? It's not like they are going to burn out or anything and they do affect the tone. Maybe not what V1 does but they do make a difference. Put a ECC81/12AT7 in V3(PI) of a non-mastervolume Marshall and you can see what V3 does to a Marshall.

7. scottl

scottl Member

NOS matters in every slot. Especially if it is a gain stage. I actually notice a bigger difference in my OD tone when swapping out V2 instead of V1. Both matter, but the V2 is equally if not more important when on the channel that uses that tube.

PI matters a lot too. Although, the relative balance of the PI tube can have a large effect as well. That ios why I like my trimmer between the PI plates. I can adjust for best feel.

8. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

which is the pi , is it usually V2 ?

Bryan

9. scottl

scottl Member

Bryan, what amp do you have?

The PI is usually the last preamp tubhe,the one closest to the power tubes. If you have 3 tubes, it is V3.

10. ed84246

ed84246 Member

I'm not sure as I think it depends on your amp - mine is a channel switched and V2 I think is primarily for the gain channel. I'm also not familiar with the qualities of those tubes you mentioned, but I am running an NOS Mullard in V1 with very nice results. I bought two Sovtek LPS preamp tubes on a few people's recommendations for V1 and phase inverter, but was advised not to use this tube in the in between positions.

11. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

I have a 60's NOS Mullard in V1 of my SF Princeton Reverb and have tried other tubes but nothing compares. I only use this amp for cleans and the Mullard adds a warmth and roundness to the treble while retaining sparkle and clarity that the others lack. A really dramatic difference. I'm glad I have a spare one too!

12. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I got a great deal on some NOS Mullards.Put one in the v1 on my'68 plexi.Huge difference!My amp tech said don't bother using them in the other positions.I tried anyway and it does make a very noticeable difference" in this amp". Results may vary from one amp to another I guess.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I have a "magic" Mullard that I like to use in V1 of amps. There really is no substitute. I wish I had a dozen of them!

Mike

14. scottl

scottl Member

Sorry. Your tech is not too swift. I don't understand how a professional doesn't understand that tubes change the tone. Doesn't matter what spot. Obviously, some make more difference than others, but they all matter.

15. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

He's not my tech anymore.He's too busy doing warranty work for G.C. anyway.:D
    Now I have a guy that charges less and really seems to know amps from a tone perspective.

I have heard many times that V1 is the only pre tube that matters.I've learned through the years that when it comes to tone,you have to trust your own ears more than anybody else.

16. dvnator

dvnator Member

17. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Absolutely. How can a tube that has 100% of your guitar signal passing through it not matter to tone?

It can REALLY make a difference when the power tubes are starting to break up because the PI is beginning to clip at this point as well.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    It's almost always the one closest to the power tubes. In your vintage Marshalls it would be V3.

19. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I was lucky in that a 66 vibrochamp I just purchased came with 2 Mullards 12Ax7's! I left one in V1 of the Champ and put the other in V2 in my DRRI, as I usually use the vibrato channel. The VC was expensive ($425 plus shipping) in my eyes, but I figure that's $200 worth of tubes with those Mullards.

The only downside is I probably won't settle for any less than Mullards now because they sound "just right" - every other new production tube has some compromise about it.

IMO - You don't have to use Mullards for everything, the preamp tubes and the PI are the most important. Luckily there are are more choices for PI Tubes, but not many preamp tubes that are as good as Mullards!

Rick

20. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

That's pretty funny because I did the exact same thing! I bought a mint '66 BF VC about 6 years ago for $275 that also had 2 Mullard 12AX7s in it. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I took one of the Mullards out of it and stuck it into V1 of my SF Princeton Reverb. Really sweet sounding. I wonder if the reissue Mullards sound anywhere near as good?