Why you guys no like mid-hump?

johngrant69

Randomly gigged this tonight at a wedding. Just for trollage sakes if not lazyness. Anyway I got a loan of the Monkey and think yeah it's good pedal, makes more sense at gig volumes than it did at home. Was setting the joyo as light crunch and the monkey as gained boost. The Microamp just to make parts stand out as we don't have a sound man.

Anyway, the thing that started to get to me while using the monkey in that was was the lack of a mid-hump. Then it occurred to me that half the threads on this forum are guys looking for pedals that don't have a midhump.

WHY?!

We need midhump. We want midhump. Embrace the midhump TGP

Trogdor

I think it depends on the amp you are playing through for how much mid hump you want. Like a fender twin I would think lots of mid hump would be good but say a Vox AC30 would not be good for example and too much for it. YMMV

markjsmith

Gold Supporting Member
In my experience, guys who gig love the mid-hump. The guys who don't gig or the guys who do and fight to get their rig quieter don't like it.

Had a buddy who loved his TS (original 808 I think) in one band (they played LOUD) and hated it another (he couldn't get his 50w plexi quiet enough for that band).

ufo~

Why I stopped playing tubescreamers. Good for cutting through the mix but I need more range. Mid hump = played out.

johngrant69

In my experience, guys who gig love the mid-hump. The guys who don't gig or the guys who do and fight to get their rig quieter don't like it.

Had a buddy who loved his TS (original 808 I think) in one band (they played LOUD) and hated it another (he couldn't get his 50w plexi quiet enough for that band).
Yeah I could see how that could be true. For some reason I just assume everyone here is out gigging when in reality that might not be the case.

I always find that as well as helping you find a sonic place to be heard in a band context that the mid-hump really helps the amp sing. ALL of the break up happens in the midrange so I've been led to believe

afterosmosis

What he said. A boost in the mids and some bass roll off is terrible when you're playing at home at low volume. In a live band setting, it works just fine. A fairly large percentage of people posting here are in the first group.

jazzfromhell

I love mids, can never get enough of it. I've got the mid knobs dimed on my pedals (Bogner Red and Blue) and at live volume they just sing.

NorCal_Val

I found that having a nice mid-bump really gives the Triple Rectifier
nice definition when using the 7 strings. In a band situation, ya gotta
have some mids, or your tone gets buried. Mids are good!!

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
I love mid hump. Also in a band context, I roll off a lot of bass on my amp. The tone that sounds good at home by yourself might sound anemic in a band situation if you have too much bass.