• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Why You Should Read Music on Guitar

donfully

Guitar sight reading is no harder than violin sight reading (coming from a guy who play both). The problem is that the guitar is associated with instant gratification. Take 2 weeks to learn 4 chords and suddenly you can jam to a song and feel cool. So learning something that may not bear fruit right away or "not fun" like sight reading may not fit that narrative about learning guitar.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
I've been thinking about this and I've come to the conclusion that it's an ornery and really confusing attempt to discredit tab, but it's not intuitive and it's very difficult to read.

I'm pro-reading, but see no advantage in this obtuse system over having a double staff with tab and standard together, combining for maximum efficient information transfer.
not sure where I'm attempting to discredit anything. I say it again, any one should use what they like. My entire point is that the wrong notion that tab has additional info standard doesnt...

Now if I was to have this argument with a student I'd add that the ready to eat meals approach takes away a important step, amely figuring out what fingering makes sense, but that's applicable for both anyways.

202dy

Fingering and standard notation:

Fingering and position playing makes for efficient playing. It is something taught by teachers on all instruments. This is the way it's been done for hundreds of years.

Standard notation represents what pitches are to be played and when. It is universal for all instruments regardless of the techniques employed to play the instruments. It is ridiculous to whine about the lack of information as to how to play the piece when the composer has no idea who will play it or what it might be played upon.

Furthermore, standard notation is not and never was intended to be used as a tool to teach someone how to play their instrument. That is a teacher's job. Taking lessons is the ultimate shortcut to mastery.

That said, it is also ridiculous to complain that one system of communication is superior to another. While standard notation is universal, communicating by tabulature, Nashville numbers, lead sheets, chord charts, shape notes, or any other system is just as legitimate as any competing system. The only thing that is important is that two people can agree to play C at the same time.

Of course, when you hand some tab to your saxophone guy expecting him to understand it and he laughs at you, it is completely deserved.

The Captain

not sure where I'm attempting to discredit anything. I say it again, any one should use what they like. My entire point is that the wrong notion that tab has additional info standard doesnt...

Now if I was to have this argument with a student I'd add that the ready to eat meals approach takes away a important step, amely figuring out what fingering makes sense, but that's applicable for both anyways.
It was not you, but the system I was referring to with "discredit".
I'm not going to disagree that the "ready to eat meals" approach takes away important steps. I've suffered the consequences myself.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom