Wich boost/OD to stack with Fuzz

Arvidsson

Hi! Need some opinions on boost/od pedals to stack with fuzz...

Running a small board with the heart of the tone being a SM Fuzz (ac128 germ fuzz) going into a kalamazoo on very low gain settings, almost off. Just to eq the fuzz and give it a little more midrange. These two is always on and i use volume to control dirt.

Im getting great tones but i feel that i would want to test a little more open, lower gain od/boost to let the fuzz's character shine through more but still give it a little tighter feel. Im running through a hybrid musicman amp so goosing the preamp wont be happening so im guessing ill need something with atleast some on the edge breakup.

jwny72

I think almost any good sounding boost/od/distortion can work, it's a matter of how one sets the od, and the fuzz. My best results come from setting the od volume to taste, and with the drive setting quite low (nearly off); while the fuzz face volume is set high (to boost the od essentially), and the fuzz control is set a bit lower than one would set it while using the fuzz face alone (between noon and 3).

FWIW, I use the Fulltone PlimSoul for od, and either a Fulltone 69 or 70 for a fuzz face. I like the results. It requires tweaking everytime I change amps or guitars, but when dialed in it sounds wonderful.

On my larger board, I use a Dr Scientist Cleanness first in the chain, then a Dr S Frazz Dazzler and a JHS Kilt. The Kilt is incredibly versatile and has a great boost that can be used independently, but The Cleanness is invaluable. It can change the gain of other pedals in the chain, has a 3 dial EQ and it...well it makes everything sound just lovely. It can even make an amp with a poor-sounding dirt channel sound great. Genius pedal. Thanks Ryan.

Arvidsson

Yeah ive gotten great results with several od's.. I guess my question is more what is a good od/boost that is a little less compressed than the kalamazoo and open sounding... Its gonna go after the SM, dont like how hitting a GE fuzz with something else than the guitar changes the feel and cleanup :) are there any alternatives to the known greats like timmy, rc booster, COT, barber GC etc?

stratowine

I got my better result with a prescription electronics rx overdriver, a colorsound overdriver clone. It was amazing with a soulbender and a russian muff

NorCal_Val

It sounds weird, but I've had good results putting an old
Tech21 XXL before various fuzz pedals.

Trending Topics