wich compressor?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dyna, Feb 7, 2006.

1. dyna

dyna Member

For a nice transparent not plasticky sound?

BBE Optostomp
    Barber Tone Press
    Keeley compressor
    T Rex Compnova
    Diamond

thanks,
    dyna

2. astainback

astainback Member

I am by no means a compressor expert, and I can't give you any thoughts on the pedals you listed, but the BYOC ross comp clone is pretty sweet. I just built one and I love it. I kick it in when playing solos and it really cleans them up and accents well.

3. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

The Diamond optical is the best I've ever heard, short of rack gear. I've had mine for a couple of weeks now, and it's not going anywhere!-Eric

4. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the diamond!

5. mcormier

mcormier Guest

i have a carl martin compressor for sale for $125 shipped if your interested,,, i love, i just have no use for a comp and i need the $$$.

Maxim

6. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

The Diamond is wonderful. I don't really use mine anymore after switching speakers, but I'm still gonna keep it cause it's that good!

7. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I have 2 of AnalogMan's Bicomprossors; one for each pedalboard. They are great and I highly recommend. My only other compressor is a vintage script MXR Dynacomp.

[​IMG]

Regards,

Tom

8. dyna

dyna Member

I used to have a Marshall ED-1. Not bad, but a little artificial...
    Think I have to check out Diamond :)

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I vote for the Keeley, hands down. I have been using mine for about 4 years and I couldn't be happier. I sold my MXR a week after I got the Keeley. It is the most transparent of the comps I have tried. It still is able to preserve the pick attack on lighter settings, yet offer the benefits of fattening up the sound and adding some sustain.

10. reverber8

reverber8 Member

Kinda hard to find but if you can try an Ibanez CP-9. Sounds great with my single coil Fenders and Gretsch 6120DSW into a Korg reissue Vox AC15.

I've tried many comps and I find I like the CP-9 the best. I haven't yet tried the Diamond or Keeley. I tried the Barber Tone Press which sounded good and I really dug the blend function. The Analogman MiniBiComp is a great unit too and the build quality is extraordinary. Plus Mike's a good guy to deal with too.

Try as many as you can with your rig and pick the one that sounds the best. Tone is so subjective.