Wich delay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by fernandopareta, Jun 21, 2006.

1. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

I know that this is the 1.000.000 thread about delay, but I can`t find the correct one, I have the line 6 dl4, it works, but I need something more transparent, that doesn´t color my original tone, I have and Anderson, a Legacy, and I hava a simple gear. I like digital delay more than analog, but I`ve never try a good analog so I`m open to the options.
    Thanks...
    Fer

2. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Fulltone TTE-not transparent but simply amazing-just take a listen to any of the Instant Live recordings from The Black Crowes last year and this year too.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

By coloring do you mean the bypassed tone or the repeats? Have you tried a straight digital delay like the DD5? Any sounds you trying to cop?

4. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Diamond Memory Lane IS the way to go for analogue. Of course if you can afford an Echoczar w/ angelbaby go for that, also the DLS echo isnt bad, and yea the fulltone is very awsome, I was thinking about getting it but then went for the Echoczar, still might get the TTE though. Good luck on you quest for the ultimate delay, I too use a DL4 aswell, but only as a looper:)

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I like the Maxon AD999 (does color the repeats, though)...

6. fernandopareta

fernandopareta Member

I like that the repeats don`t color the sound, and I want a musical delay, generally the dl4 change the orginal sound of the guitar, maybe I have to try the dd3 modd by Keeley what do you think?
    Thanks....

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

Chandler Digital Stereo Echo

8. e-z

e-z Member

I notice that my DL4 thins out my tone but in terms of bang for your buck it is pretty good. Having said that, I like the Memory Lane. It definitely doesn't thin the tone but I can't say it is perfectly transparent.

9. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Land of Enchantment/Entrapment. Depending on view
    I've never ever liked any SS analog delay of any sort...something very odd about the tone... the Best delay I've heard in years is the Fulltone Echoplex...Tommy Bolen and I used real Echoplex's in Denver to do some really cool stuff back in the 70's, but the limitations were many..The Fulltone overcomes most of them...If you can't/don't want to spring the $800 for one of them, the next best Echo Ive heard is the Akai Headrush E-1..That's what I'm using....somewhat close to the Fulltone unit, without all the tape head/tape hassle, and you can pick them up used here on TGP's for $140 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Used Boss DD-3. That's all I use now delay wise.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

I love my Analog Man modded DD3!!

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've got the Akai and really like that, but I'd love to have an early DD3 modded...

13. alanfc

alanfc Member

I have a DD-3, used in the loop, but its first repeat is distorted when using heavy rock tones,,,
    >>> ??? is this really obvious, like if the pedal is getting a disorted signal it reproduces it so perfectly (digitally) that that makes sense?
    I use a DE-7 set on short and echo for heavy distorted sounds, but I'd love to be able to use the DD-3 for that too sometimes. Right now I only use the DD3 for clean-ish and quiet sounds
    thanks

14. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

I've tried most of the tap tempo delays... Replica, DD-5, DD-20, DL-4, EchoTap, Memory Lane. I found that I like a really clean and clear delay for a lot things. Here's what I'm currently using....

Three (count 'em) Echo Parks! (dotted eighth note rhythmic delay, quarter note analog mod delay, and tape lead delay).

Make sure you get one that was made in the last six months or so because I had one of the first ones and it was hissy and noisy. That's not the case with newer ones. The E.P.s don't suck tone or add hiss like a DL-4 (unless it's a Keeley modded DL-4, those sound great).

15. selahvie

selahvie Member

Just curious - what made you go with 3 echo parks over a keeley modified Dl-4?

16. Creamy

Creamy Member

I'm a fan of Keeley's modded DD3. It has 3 delay sounds that you can choose from: an ultra crispy clean, warm and round with faster decaying repeats, and something in between. The delay can be set to self occilate. And IMO one of its coolest features is the effects loop - where you can run the repeats (only) through your effects, while preserving your original signal.

17. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

There are two reasons that I went with the Echo Parks.

1) The DL-4 doesn't have a dotted eighth note setting which I use all the time. This also eliminated the EchoTap which is a likeable pedal.

2) I built an A/B looper. Loop 1 is for leads, it has my Landgraff and one Echo Park with a nice lead delay (tape). Loop 2 is for Rhythm. It has the other two Echo Parks (one for rhythmic delay and one for ambient delay) along with a Magic Boost II, Red Snapper, and all my swirl pedals.

With this setup, I can have a nice clean ambient rhythm tone going (Magic Boost plus delay along with phaser, vibe, or chorus) and then easily hit the A/B switch to kick in the lead tone. It eliminates a lot of tap dancing, i.e., jump from MagicBoost/ambient delay/phaser/vibe to Landgraff/lead delay with one click.

John

18. ASATClassic

ASATClassic Member

Sorry to hijack, but a quick question on the echo park-can you daisy chain them or do they each need a dedicated power supply?

19. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I like the Echo Park a lot, it's a nice pedal and really versatile. Analog Man did some really nice things to the Boss DD-6 for me, but my hands down favorite is the T.Rex Replica - that is what delay is all about. The Replica is very easy to use & has a "Brown" feature that sprays "faux-analog" on the repeats. With the "Brown" switch off, repeats are clear, transparent & "Edge-like". It sounds fabulous through an AC-30...

20. Beam Tetrode

Beam Tetrode Member

Are you people running your delay pedals in front of the amp, or in the amp's fx loop?