Wide Neck Options Advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by agreatheight, Dec 16, 2009.

1. agreatheight

agreatheight Member

I am a bassist who is playing more and more guitar. I have very fat fingers and have trouble cleanly fretting open chord shapes - I am muting other strings unintentionally. It doesn't bother me that much for songwriting, but now that I am playing live and recording it's really pissing me off, lol. So I am thinking a wide width neck would be great.

So, what are my options? I know that Warmoth makes a wide neck that fits strats, and a build could be fun / educational (maybe a Jazzmaster with a stoptail and humbuckers). What else is available? What are the options? And, if I do find a suitable wide neck, do I need to look for different pickups? Anyone actually done this? I gotta think there are other dudes out there with fat fingers!

Thanks all!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Suhr make their 1 11/16" neck wider at the butt end as well as the nut, to accomodate a vintage bridge spacing. That's where you get problems with custome wide necks usually. (Fender go the other way and use a narrower bridge on their American Series guitars.) I had a vintage bridge on a strat with a 1.75" nut, and you just couldn't space the strings properly. Lesson learned.

My Suhr is supremely spacious all along the neck, and I have hands like bunches of bananas. Although I appreciate this is a pricey option.

3. bynt

bynt Member

There are a bunch of options for replacement necks. I'm addicted to fat necks after many years of playing thin ones. I've currently got a Warmoth Boat neck on my strat and tele and they are great. I've also played the Allparts fatback which I'm in love with (actually going to put that on my tele).

You shouldn't have any problems with pickups. It's a really great way to get an awesome guitar for a lot less money. If you find a guitar that's bolt on that you like (see also Mexi-Fender or anything that the neck will fit) you can beef it up with a neck change. I'm sold on the idea. I don't ever even pick up the new stuff that comes in through the store anymore because none of it is as cool and comfortable as my guitars!

4. agreatheight

agreatheight Member

Man, I'd love a Suhr, but it is most definitely out of my price range. They are fantastic guitars (a guitarist I work with plays one) but my wife would slap me into next year.

With that said, I prolly should mention I'd like to stay under 1k, if possible.

5. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

I feel your pain. (-;

PRS Se? Those necks seem big and wide.

6. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

If I were you I'd go to USACG and get the 1 7/8 neck, have it fitted to any existing body, routing out the neck pocket, as required, use a vintage Strat bridge spacing or a customized TOM, or Schaller adjustable, and be done with it.

7. agreatheight

agreatheight Member

Does anyone know who makes the widest 'replacement' neck? And I don't mind routing...

8. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I've got a Warmoth Strat with a 1 and 11/16" neck. Would like to replace it with a 1 and 3/4" Warmoth neck. Where might I run into problems with this?

9. cherrick

cherrick Member

Here's a wild and crazy idea: get a Gibson ES-335 12-string and convert it to 6 string.

The really cool thing about ES-335 12 string guitars is that they're way, way under priced for the 335 market. There are some great deals out there.

10. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

We offer a version of our guitars with 1 13/16" at the nut and 2 3/16 at the bridge. It's available in both the 27 and the 25.5" scale lengths.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  11. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Another option would be the Carvin Holdsworth model which has a very wide neck and also happens to be a great guitar albeit somewhat idiosyncratic.

12. bigconig

bigconig Member

A jazzmaster is a good idea if you're used to the feel of a bass. I did a Warmoth JM and it feels massive compared to my LPS, teles and strats. The Warmoth JM neck (at least mine) is wider than their others. My Warmoth Strat has a standard thin with 1 11/16" nut and it's thinner than my JM's standard thin with 1 11/16 nut.

It's an absolute blast to play and between the jumbo frets and wide neck all the bass players I know love it.

[​IMG]

13. SLBlues

SLBlues Member

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Superwide_WarmothPro.aspx

Fits standard routed bodies. I am thinking of getting one to try. I have a 1 3/4 on my strat now and still have trouble cleanly fretting chords. But it is way better than the 1 11/16 that it replaced. Just wondering about what back contour to get. The 1 3/4 is the fatter asymmetric contour.