• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Wierd music store encounter.

50calexplorer

So I headed out to a G&L dealer that had a couple of ASAT's that I have wanted to try out for awhile as I have decided that I'm either gonna buy a Tele or ASAT or a Gibson SG.

Well anyhow this store is located a couple of towns over (about a 40 mile drive) so I walk in ans say why I'm there (he also has an SG on the wall but no Fender Tele, just the ASATs). I tell him I'm going to buy either a Fender Tele, a G&L ASAT, Or the the Gibson SG.

He then tells me he doesn't let anyone play the USA models unless they are ready to buy right then, as luck would have it I have cash on me, but I'm not telling him that. I ask him how can I know if I want to buy it if I can't play it. He then goes on to tell me that he has "$50,000" on that back wall behind the display case and blah-blah-blah can't get any marks on these guitars". So a bit put off, I just ask if I can play the Tribute series to see if I like those and with some hesitation he says ok and then tries to plug me into some solid-state piece of crap Marshall and I tell him please plug me into one of the Mashall DSL series he has because I know how those sound and I only have tube amps. I play a few different tribute models then leave.

A couple of things here I am 30 years old dressed in a long sleeve button up and some nice jeans so I don't look like some high school basher. I had the cash on hand to make the deal, but refused to tell him that after feeling slighted.

Probably the worst experience I've ever had in a music store.

Last edited:

Mr. Crow

You say "I and a few different Tribute models then leave." Does that mean you bought several guitars from this guy? Personally I wouldn't buy a pack of strings from a store that treated me like that.

Smakutus

I've been in stores like this before. I can see not letting a kid try the guitars out but an adult? Stooopid way to do business.

Jeff

teletroy

That happened to me one time. I had finally saved enough to buy this one guitar- I think it was an Ovation 12 string - Beautiful guitar. I go into the acoustic room to try it out one more time before I buy it, and one of the salesmen comes up to me yelling telling me not to touch that guitar. He was like what are you doing, do you know how much that costs? I said yes, I do, and I have cash in my pocket. And guess what you just lost a sale motherF#$$er. I put it down and walked out, he followed me out of the store appoligizing. It took me 10 years before I could go in there again. And then I only bought a guitar case for $25. I've never spent any money in there since. Apple Music - Portland Oregon if anyone cares :)

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
You guys need to tell the management/owner that this happened or it will never change. Don't need to rant at them, just a calm phone call. In my experience, you'll often get a "what can we do to win your business back" reply, which can result in some serious deals.

People sometimes remember being treated well. They expect it. (Unless it's WONDERFUL).

People always remember being treated poorly. They'll tell a few people about it.

People RAVE about being treated poorly then being sucked up to in apology. They tell EVERYONE.

I'm not making this up. There's some business "rule" about it, but it escapes me since I try to purge all the business crap from my brain anymore.

Call the store and talk to the owner. If that guy was the owner, calmly tell him why he lost however much money he just lost. You might be surprised. If he's still a dick, tell him -again calmly- that his attitude has just forced you to go to buy online (or whatever).

GAD

Eugene

Silver Supporting Member
I would take my business elsewhere....permanently. There are MANY fine dealers that will bend over backwards to treat customers right....no need to deal with this type of attitude.

fjwiv

Apple music rules, sounds like you had pretty crappy service there though. The manager of the acoustic guitar department, chuck, is great.

JRPTube

Problem Solved: Get in car, dive the hour and a half to Daves guitars in Lacrosse, choose from 15 different sg's, teles, and probably a few G&L's through any amp you want!!!!
This might make your decision harder (too many options) but with so many options you will have the opportunity to get "a great one"

tjmicsak

Sounds like a Far Side cartoon.

"It then became readily obvious why Mortimer Fenwick had failed at selling cars and was doing poorly at his attempt of selling musical instruments."

No test drive. No sale.

"Perhaps this obcession stemmed from his many long years as a street merchant selling tie-dyed underwear."

guitarfish

Silver Supporting Member
After you buy one somewhere else, fax him a copy of the receipt to show him what he missed out on, lol. The guy sounds like an idiot.

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
Independant dealers who complain about the economy, MF, GC, etc., often cause their own failure with behavior like this.

There's an old saying in retail: "You have to let them hold the baby".

We fully expect things like pick marks on pickgaurds, etc. We keep new pickguards on hand in case the wear is too bad....and a couple of large bottles of swirl remover for possible finish marks from over exuberant players.

Tools of the trade.

Go directly to Daves. I can spend a whole day there and be left alone or get all the help I need. They encourage you to play all the great guitars they have there. Vintage Gibson and Fenders and virtually every new high end Fender , GIbson, Martin, PRS, Collings,Suhr. And if you ask nice they will let you go upstairs to the museum(Daves collection), and play a real 59 les paul, explorer, 335, etc. Best store for selection and service in the universe! I drive over 3 hours to go there and it is always worth it.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
+1 for Daves. Of course they do it because it fuels my GAS and I always end up spending more than I planned on. Evil, evil men!

Trending Topics