wierd strat problem....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by omfg51, Feb 6, 2012.

1. omfg51

omfg51 Member

So I have an odd predicament here. It is involving my very beloved fender stratocaster. Awhile back, I put a warmoth neck on it. Rosewood fingerboard, 59 roundback profile, 10-16 compound radius, corian nut. It sounds great, and really looks nice on the guitar. There's one little thing that bugs me. For whatever reason, it feels like the top 3 unwound strings aren't ringing out completely. It's like their ability to vibrate are being impeded by something. I can't figure out what though. The action is pretty much right where it needs to be, the relief is just perfect, and I even re-intonated recently to help tuning. It's just from nut to bridge saddle, nothing but pure string, and there is plenty of room for vibration. Can anyone tell what this is or help me analyze it?

2. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Anybody know something about this?!?!

3. saintpatrick

saintpatrick Member

Do you experience the same problem when you fret at 1st fret? If no, then it sounds to me like an improperly slotted nut.

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Using Corian for a nut might be the issue (at least imo)... is that something Warmoth recommended?

5. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Well it's more of a general feel of the string than anything. When amplified, it isn't really noticible unless you really listen for it. Now that I check, I'm pretty sure it's only when I play them open. Fretting produces a pretty normal sound.

6. omfg51

omfg51 Member

The only reason I went with corian was because it didn't cost more. Now that I look back, I wish I went with a graphtech TUSQ XL.

7. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

If that is indeed the case, and since fretting removes the influence of the nut on a string, I'd definitely say look into replacing the nut.

8. saintpatrick

saintpatrick Member

Really sounds to me like the slots are the issue. Either the break angle leaving the nut is of insufficient angle causing the string to leave contact with the nut before it exits the slots, and/or the slots are pinching the string from the sides of the slots. Example, if the slots were cut for a set of .011 strings and you put a .010, there would be space on either side of the string in the nut that could prevent the string from resonating properly. Either way, you can take it to a good tech and have that corrected very easily.

9. omfg51

omfg51 Member

Well, I've been deciding whether or not to re setup the guitar, so I guess now I'll just do it!

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

You might try loosening all 4 neck screws about 1/4 of a turn under string tension and listen for a creak as the string tension pulls the neck tightly into the neck pocket.

Another thing to try is to check and see if the screws that hold the trem block to the bridge plate are tight.

However, it does sound like a dead or poorly set nut. I'd replace it with a harder material like bone or brass.

11. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    Just get rid of that corian nut and have TUSQ nut properly cut and installed. A good tech should be able to do that for under $50.

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

It may be a flat angle on the nut slots. Have a tech clean up the fret slots and angle them properly first. Or sounds like this is something you can do.