Wierd things happen when restringing.... PLEASE HELP...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Itai, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Itai

Itai Guest

I'm so mad I can just strat kicking things.... :mad:

Every time I restring and put all the strings away to clean my guitar - wierd thing happens....

when i put the strings/new strings back on the guitar the strings suddenly feel ULTRA loose, the guitar sound like crap, and feels crappy too....

I have a Gotoh tunomatic bridge with stop tailpiece and BELIVE ME - i didn't move anything... not the bridge, not the tailpiece hight... nothing...
    another thing - this is not the kind of difference in tention due to the tailpiece adjustments... it's just not... i'ts somthing realy wierd...
    especially due to the fact that the string tention from point A to B should not change if A/B doesn't move an INCH!!!!

Now i know it's against every law of phisics known to man BUT i'm an expirienced player, I know what I feel/hear , AND this is not the first time it's happening...
    everytime it happened i tried every logical/unlogical thing that came to my mind and when i finally worked it out, after a couple of restringing it happens again, and again - nothing seem to work...

Yes, I know it sounds wierd, i know it doesn't make sence... but please try help me... i'm all lost here... i'm a working musician and it's a real problem fo me not playing my favorite guitar...

thanks ahead...
    Itai.

2. alderbody

alderbody Member

i would try to change each string at a time and maybe ...change the cleaning-polishing fluid...

maybe you put too much of that on the fretboard...

3. whitehall

whitehall Member

+1, Always change the strings one at a time , otherwise strange and often unwanted things seem to happen.

4. Ryan

Ryan Member

I would save so much money if I could keep my strings for years at a time. For me, the new Elixirs with coated plain strings are a gift from God.:p

5. alderbody

alderbody Member

+1 for the snake oils. Although i never kept my strings more than 3-4 months tops, i still have the first two sets i bought about 8 months ago and they don't seem to have any problem at all!!!