wife Approved amp¿

Bogner

Get whatever amp you want, just make sure the tolex is Gucci or Louis Vuitton and she will love it. ;)

Anomaly

Anything that looks like a nice piece of furniture and sounds great at low volumes, like one of those Bubinga wood Mesa Mark combo's.

HesNot

Silver Supporting Member
Wives are all different, with the ones I've had plugging in a guitar pissed um off. My brother's second wife doesn't mind him bashing away loud as hell in his office, could be all the weed. If I ever get married again, I might try a pot smoker.
Wise counsel ... that I did not take either

DV52

What is this Wife Approved Amp thing you speak of ?

A few years back I was at GC , they had a 57 Tweed Bandmaster RI , the guy I work with there says let's take this in the ISO room and test drive it ,I've never tried one and it might be right down your alley. Well It was indeed . I called the Queen and told her to come listen to it . She got there we went in and played it for a few minutes . She told my guy that's great we'll take it .

She whipped out her card and said "get the truck" . It was a great amp and I should have kept that one !!

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Everyone should keep a Tweed Bandmaster! The only thing better is a 310 Brown Bandmaster with that swirling tremolo!

As to the OP, I think you have to clarify a few things:
1. Does it have to look good? There are some nice hardwood amps out there. Also some art deco ones. And old radios turned into amps...
2. Are we looking for it not to be too loud when she's home or just to sound in a way she approves? How much flexibility in tone are you looking for? Do you use pedals?

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Thread reported, Warning Issued, posts removed. Knock of the insults and misogynistic comments please. They have no place on TGP.
Thank you.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds like a big amp but quieter? find a 60's blue check Ampeg Jet. They sound like a lush Twin Reverb but at normal conversation levels. About 12 watts total and a very inefficient speaker but big transformers and good power stage filtering.

Daytona57

My stepson is a pro drummer and I play drums and guitar, so music is not an issue.

Though, I keep things quiet, when she is working on the telephone.

hawk45

I recently picked up a Boss Katana MK2 head. It's solid state but has some really good tone even at lower volume. I keep the master on 10 and sounds great. Responds very well to using guitars volume, cleans up real nice. It's got settings for 100 watt, 50 watt and .5 watt. The head actually has a 5" speaker built into it and sounds pretty good on the .5 and 50 watt settings. I think it maxes out at 30 watts w/o being plugged into a cab. It also has a headphone jack if you really want to go covert. Then if you want to rock out, you can hook it up to a 1x12, 2x12 or 4x12. Has 60+ effects and 6 amps. Has 8 programmable with a really nice software tool that allows you to really tweak things then store them... way to much to go into here, but plenty of videos. I got this b/c I wanted something for my desk/workstation but could also get put up on the half-stack if I want to get loud. Does direct into PC too if you have a DAW. $350.

Trending Topics