Wife Challenge

BlueWolf

Mutations Expert
Platinum Supporting Member
Please, don‘t any free jazz lovers get offended. It’s just a joke. I remember this being posted on the wall at music school. Most of us got a good laugh out of it until a free jazz loving professor took it down.

0CF62622-59C6-4682-BCFA-3209089C57F0.jpeg

Cactus Bob

Silver Supporting Member
That sounds like the play-list of a show called 'Rise' that I fell asleep to sunday nights on kpfk in LA for 13 years - very heavy on the sun-ra. It also happened to be the tastes of the director of a non-profit venue I ran door or sound for here in Bellingham, WA so we would get which ever modern local equivalents were to be found. Also some throat-singing troupes from NE Asia.

Listened to a lot of late night freeform underground radio stations back in Chicago around 1969-1976. Triad Radio was a favorite that played a lot of the above with Sun-ra, Pharoah Sanders, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Ravi Shankar and beyond.

Have You Heard The Latest News From Neptune

subtomic

Neither did I. Gender has nothing to do with it. I get what Coleman does and I get free jazz as well, I just cannot listen to it unless I am trying to make all the guests at my house leave quickly but I usually put on death metal for those circumstances.

Like this

Effective, but I prefer this as my party punctuation

On our 2nd or 3rd date, my wife and I saw the opera Nixon in China. Even though it’s a rather dissonant piece of music, my wife found it interesting. However, the narrative of the 2nd act left us both pretty perplexed.

I’ll have to play her some Ornette. I have the Beauty is a Rare Thing box set and so there are a few cuts to choose from there.

frijoleghost

Silver Supporting Member
my spouse can't handle a lot of stuff i like...she's a pop purist with an incredible ear...she doesn't play an instrument or sing, so it's amazing to me that her ear is so developed - way beyond many "musicians" i've known...she can hear three seconds of a tune and make an identification of the artist or a sophisticated comparison that blows my mind because MY ear is really good...let's just say she's not a big blues fan...

marvin cobain

It's hard for me to understand now how someone could not like Lonely woman. It's a very atmospheric, memorable tune with a noirish tone. Maybe it's just because people associate Coleman with free jazz? But Lonely woman is very far from being harsh as the majority of free jazz, I'm not sure I would even consider it free jazz, more a transitional work in the best possible way.

marvin cobain

Lonely Woman is normally classified as free jazz, not bop. It's not really focused or tight enough to be bop.

Well, the head of the tune is clearly composed and it's very memorable and melodic (it's in fact, a beloved tune covered over and over by tons of musicians) and it's more a transitional work than real free jazz. I would say it's closer in many ways to that post-bop movement that someone called "in & out" (Andrew Hill, Eric Dolphy, early Sam Rivers) than what is usually considered free jazz.

twoheadedboy

Well, the head of the tune is clearly composed and it's very memorable and melodic (it's in fact, a beloved tune covered over and over by tons of musicians) and it's more a transitional work than real free jazz. I would say it's closer in many ways to that post-bop movement that someone called "in & out" (Andrew Hill, Eric Dolphy, early Sam Rivers) than what is usually considered free jazz.

Although the head is composed, I wouldn't call it very memorable or melodic, but that's just me. In any case, you're right that it's not pure free jazz.

the_Chris

It's All Been Done Before
Silver Supporting Member
My wife idolizes “Bey”. She had the nerve the other day to call out bad lyrics in a Verve Pipe song I played. This coming from a singer who has lyrics like “bag swag”. :jo

DanR

I have no Mrs around here. I'm not a jazz buff but I didn't mind listening to it. I do listen to Real Jazz on SiriusXM in my car. In a way, I don't understand jazz but it's nice to listen to in the car sometimes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom