Wife got me Foxrox/Octron for VD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cram, Feb 20, 2008.

1. cram

cram Member

Last fall my wife expressed that she was timid about purchasing anything to do with music. I would never want her to get me a guitar or amp unless she hooked up with a professional who either knew me or knows my interests.. So I started to think about my "want list" that is pretty cut and dry. The main thing on this list was increasing my ability to record and 2 or 3 types of effects I'd always love to have and experiment with. I wrote her an email review of what I'd be looking for back in november, I think.

I keep things pretty simple (I think) tuner - wah - od - clean boost - delay and sometimes I use a phaser.

Within my list was an octave pedal and a compressor pedal. I've never played with either and I've heard some pretty decent changes in sound when they are used. It's not something I'd normally buy - personally I have about 3 core things on the list I'd look for before my pedal board got an update.

I spent about .5hr on TGP doing searches of these types of pedals and found some great reviews and soundsamples of the key differences. The one pedal that seemed to get great reviews all around was the Octron from Foxrox. I like the function of both up and down in one box and reviews of others compared to this one had me feeling the best about this one if I were to try this effect.

Apparently, valentines day is like christmas to my wife because that's what she got me. I was floored. It was quite unexpected actually.

My short review -

First, my overall impression is whenever the octave up is in any prevalent setting, I immediately gravitate to playing nasty ripping blues licks and lines that swing with the music. It adds a tendancy to play that way for sure. There is a fuzz added to the touch and feel of it all that makes those nasty leads feel easier as the notes sing through what you're playing. Otherwise in-audiable notes are brought to the front and the notes just sing as a result.

One thing I noticed in the literature that was sent along with the box was warning about how the octave down can be unforgiving for bad play or poorly performed notes. I can easily see how this is. But DAMN, I love the sound of this octave down. The suggestion for a better response is to use a neck pickup as the sound is fuller and easier for the effect to recognize. This again is also helpful to getting the most out of the low octave effect.

The best benefit or use I've found so far with the Low octave setting is while jamming to a riff with a nice lead without this effect on, I click it on to join in with the riff again and it just sounds nasty - a low rumbling distorted growl is how I'd describe it. I couldn't stop experimenting with it. I'd mimmick the bass line and then match it against thirds and sixths... pretty cool.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit and find myself steeling the moments from my day to let it rip with this effect on.

A couple links to be had on additional and well qualified explainations of how it all works.

Someone with it for a week and looking for clarity on the function - Good discussion on the function of the three knobs. Simple, but clearly explained.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-129116.html
    So many damn raves about it too - http://www.google.com/custom?cx=016199804407367287613%3Ab4lkthdvxnk&cof=AH%3Aleft%3BCX%3ATGP%2520Forums%2520Search%3BDIV%3A%23cccccc%3BFORID%3A0%3BGFNT%3A%23666666%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fgoogle.com%2Fcoop%2Fintl%2Fen%2Fimages%2Fcustom_search_sm.gif%3BLH%3A65%3BLP%3A1%3B&q=octron&adkw=AELymgUG2kdp1LBamAXk_O7Dvlq0QKo2dmaixYlsQab3XLjNNV5zFAlWmPzufJadilTtQExubBTixt_ZmADhC1FkA5U20ZecgWe6IVuG7dUaG-noIsGJV2A&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&client=google-coop-np

2. slingshotmb

slingshotmb Member

You give her VD and she gives you a pedal....shes a keeper.

3. Chadley

Chadley Member

She's a keeper. That is really cool. I am also insanely jealous of your Octron. Great review.

4. MattHahn

MattHahn Senior Member

great pedal, great wife.
    congrats.

5. cram

cram Member

vd is the gift that keeps on giving...

Thanks. Please note that I'm not a tech geek when it comes to how these effects work.. I am learning and as with most things in life I'll develop a workable knowlege as I go. What I do know is what my ears hear and how I feel when I play through it.

I relied on reviews of those before me on tgp and found a product that seems to be well made and functions appropriately. I absolutely love the addition and have even found spots where I'll use it in my bands' current tunes that will be a nice touch.

6. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    Great pedal and even better wife! I wish mine would pick up on this kind of stuff...but she is too busy pounding that rusty nail into the garage wall to hang my balls on.....

TheGrooveking

7. vinney57

vinney57 Member

No woman on EARTH would understand your obsession Grooveking!

8. starfish

starfish Member

VD? Was it Valentine's Disease? Or Venereal Day?
    :worried

9. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

FYI: the Octron can be adjusted via a pair of internal trimpots to vary the brightness and amount of fuzz on the octave-up. Useful if you switch between guitars with very different pickups or you need to take some edge off the treble before it hits the wah.

10. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

:eek:

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Maybe it's time to remind your wife that you have two of everything else. :D

12. cram

cram Member

Yeah after getting it my interest for info was lifted so I searched and found these demos -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpL8ZS3Cr7M

~1:36 or so he shows the two adjustments you're talking about.

I have not played with this yet. (way too much going on in life right now) But, I'll get to it I'm sure of it.