Wildwood manufacturing And MJT

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulnmarshall, May 6, 2015.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi everyone,
    I am thinking abut getting an MJT guitar. I would probably get one with a wildwood body and neck. has anyone tried guitars made with wildwood parts?
    I'd love to hear about your experiences! all info is welcome!
    Also I am curious if anyone has comopared wildwood and Usagc, musikraft etc... I'd love to know what your experiences are.
    Also, I am trying to decide on a color, Gold, sa foam green, sea foam green over sonic blue or vintage white. Any advice? This would be for a 60's style strat, alder body, rosewood board.
    Thanks!

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

3. Summa

Summa Silver Supporting Member

I didn't know that Wildwood Mfg. were making necks. But it's been a couple years since I've used MJT, so maybe they do now? I don't know. In the past their bodies have been fine but I didn't require anything out of the ordinary. I've always used Musikraft necks and will again should I need a neck. I also would use Musikraft for a special order body and then have MJT handle the finish work. Matt and Mark at MJT have been great to do business with and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.

4. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

5. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

6. BK Verbs

BK Verbs Gold Supporting Member

I currently have a Tele and Strat bodies from MJT. Tele was a custom order double bound burst with a humbucker neck rout. The Strat was an Ebay auction win. Both with very light relic and wear. I prefer to break them in myself. I used an older MIA Standard rosewood neck on the Tele and a 62 style Fender Japan neck in the Strat.
    I love everything about the Strat and it was literally the one I grabbed on my way out the door when my apartment building was on fire.
    My experiences have been great and it was a lot of fun (to me anyway) to pick and choose each nut and bolt. There is a great MJT thread on the Telecaster forum if you want to learn more about working with them.

Setup is everything with any partscaster, for me, it's best to leave that to a professional tech.

7. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Awesome! Has anyone tried the wildwood necks?

8. boppstar

boppstar Supporting Member

No experience on the necks, yes on the bodies. The bodies have worked perfectly with Musikraft, Allparts, and Warmoth necks in the builds I have completed. Having had multiple interactions with MJT, I would trust their recommendations on the quality of the Wildwood necks. That being said, my best experience with necks has been Musikraft.

9. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Cool! Thanks a lot!
    Please keep the replies coming :)

10. Garrett Bagby

Garrett Bagby Member

My MJT Wildwood Tele body is great. Three piece alder with the arm and belly cuts. Warmoth neck and other parts mated right up, no problem. I asked Matt for light weight and it's 4 lbs on the dot. Couldn't ask for more, really.

11. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I know Wildwood cuts the bodies, but I thought Tommy at USACG was making the necks the Jenny's use lately. They also use Allparts IIRC.

12. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

On most custom orders this would be the case. However I am looking at a neck sold by MJT that is made by wildwood right now.

13. pickslide

pickslide Member

I just got a strat with a one piece wildwood body finished by mjt and a Danocaster neck. Its the best strat I have ever had. The body is really light and lots of relicing but looks truly old. I dont think that you can go wrong here.

14. sliberty

sliberty Member

My 2 MJT Teles and my MJT Cabronita all use Wildwood bodies, and they are excellent. Light, resonant, and a perfect fit for the AllParts necks I used. I have no experience with Wildwood necks.