• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Wilkinson Locking Saddles Now Available

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Ive found the real tuning stability issues are the wraps around the tuners. Well cut nut , staggered locking tuners with string tree removal made both my cheapo squier bridge amazingly stable and my Wilkinson.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
If you say so ... go ahead and spend $80 for unoticeable stability improvements.
Dang man, what’s with the trolling a product you don’t like? Did you try them?
How did you measure the stability before and after?
I tune less is my measurement.

Also, a couple smart guys have already measured and identified issues at the bridge that drove the creation of the product. However, clearly it’s not for you as you have it all figured out. We all got ripped off and you didn’t. Good for you. Thanks for pointing that out.

JHL

I tune less is my measurement, too, and especially when recording when i check tuning before each take i've noticed the g tends to need much less attention than before.

Last edited:

-sku-

Dang man, what’s with the trolling a product you don’t like? Did you try them?

I tune less is my measurement.

Also, a couple smart guys have already measured and identified issues at the bridge that drove the creation of the product. However, clearly it’s not for you as you have it all figured out. We all got ripped off and you didn’t. Good for you. Thanks for pointing that out.
lol

Defendant

Silver Supporting Member
Been there, bought the t shirt.

Nut and tuners -need attention.
Pivot of bridge -needs to zero.

...I've got to the point where all that works with several bridges (gotoh, Wilkinson and blade runner) and still had tuning issues, mostly the G string moving.

I don't expect the saddle is the problem. I suspect it's movement in the block or the position of the block hole relative to that saddle.

Either way, a locking saddle is a solid fix.

Will prob try next year. This year has been all about revisiting the pains and joys of Floyd rose for me.

rockon1

Been there, bought the t shirt.

Nut and tuners -need attention.
Pivot of bridge -needs to zero.

...I've got to the point where all that works with several bridges (gotoh, Wilkinson and blade runner) and still had tuning issues, mostly the G string moving.

I don't expect the saddle is the problem. I suspect it's movement in the block or the position of the block hole relative to that saddle.

Either way, a locking saddle is a solid fix.

Will prob try next year. This year has been all about revisiting the pains and joys of Floyd rose for me.
Its a toss up for me but for the money, if Im using a two point trem, I'll take the Wilkinson VS100N over the wilkinson wvs130. I think the trade off of a locked down saddle vs locked string isnt worth it. Those saddles do look trick though. Ive found the G string the worst but locking tuners, good nut and no trees solved it for me.

This is my partscaster with the cheaper Wilkinson VS50 (I hardened the plate, lol) , fender locking tuners, tusq nut and no trees... very hard to knock out of tune. I selected the G since most people have the most issue with it. Just my personal path resolving the tuning issues- No wraps around the posts, no trees (a small amount of break angle is all thats needed), properly cut nut = done. I feel its all at the headstock and proved it to myself twice now. My Squier with 6 point trem is just as stable.

Hard to see in the pic but the string trees unused.

Last edited:
Reactions: nla

GitGeek

Legendary Member
Gold Supporting Member
The off set "F" series are now back in stock. Just in time for Christmas.

I don't want to sound like a commercial but if these have been on your list you should "act now" because "supplies are limited". :)

waygorked

I just dropped the Suhr full bridge with locking saddles onto a partscaster that previously held an AM Standard 2-point trem with Calaham saddles. Well-cut Graphtech nut, staggered locking tuners, no string trees, yada yada. There was nothing wrong with the parts or the setup. The guitar could handle some abuse and maintain reasonable tune, but if I went for the bar I would inevitably need to at least check my tuning at the end of a song or two.

I have been absolutely beating this thing to death for the past 3 days since changing the bridge, and am utterly amazed at the tuning stability. I've been going full EVH on it for hours at a time and haven't needed to touch the tuning keys once. This thing is a bloody revelation. It's better than at least my original Floyd-equipped 80s Kramer at staying in tune. And it still sounds like a strat.

Is this entirely about the saddles, or does the bridge design have anything to do with it? I'm definitely going to equip all of my 2-point trem guitars with these, but is the saddle upgrade enough?

rockon1

I just dropped the Suhr full bridge with locking saddles onto a partscaster that previously held an AM Standard 2-point trem with Calaham saddles. Well-cut Graphtech nut, staggered locking tuners, no string trees, yada yada. There was nothing wrong with the parts or the setup. The guitar could handle some abuse and maintain reasonable tune, but if I went for the bar I would inevitably need to at least check my tuning at the end of a song or two.

I have been absolutely beating this thing to death for the past 3 days since changing the bridge, and am utterly amazed at the tuning stability. I've been going full EVH on it for hours at a time and haven't needed to touch the tuning keys once. This thing is a bloody revelation. It's better than at least my original Floyd-equipped 80s Kramer at staying in tune. And it still sounds like a strat.

Is this entirely about the saddles, or does the bridge design have anything to do with it? I'm definitely going to equip all of my 2-point trem guitars with these, but is the saddle upgrade enough?
Ive had the same results with the Wilkinson VS series which doesnt have string clamping saddles but locks the saddles down. Might be more about Wilkinsons in general.

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member

Yes, the saddle upgrade is enough. All my trem guitars now have the full bridge or just saddles as it's a drop in replacement for the gotoh 510 (and most two point bridges like yours too). I feel the same way. I was at a jam session yesterday and we played about 3 hours worth of tunes and I think I remember tuning maybe 2 or 3 times. It's so frigin awesome to not worry about the tuning. When I do tune, it's basically fine tuning, and I go to town on the trem at times. We're talking Satch pinch harmonic pull ups from a dunked bar kind of work too. Congrats on joining the club.

Personally, I feel like the screws can create a bit of a crimp on the string at the saddle lock so I do try and put enough tension that the string stays in place, but not enough to torque. Regardless, I seem to get a solid 4-6 weeks of good use on a set of strings before I'm worried about breakage which happens, so the trade off is fine with me.

waygorked

Yes, the saddle upgrade is enough. All my trem guitars now have the full bridge or just saddles as it's a drop in replacement for the gotoh 510 (and most two point bridges like yours too). I feel the same way. I was at a jam session yesterday and we played about 3 hours worth of tunes and I think I remember tuning maybe 2 or 3 times. It's so frigin awesome to not worry about the tuning.
Thanks. And oddly enough, the guitar I dropped it into looks disturbingly like your signature guitar (lol).

I feel like I got lucky and stumbled onto my bridge on Reverb. Another scan through Reverb, Ebay, Amazon.. zilch, nada. Are these things truly as impossible to come by as it seems?

GitGeek

Legendary Member
Gold Supporting Member
That's because it's Wilkinson's direct sales channel. They are produced in limited and not at all mass quantities so Wilkinson handles the sales themselves. It seems they don't make enough at a time to supply the top half dozen or so online retailers with a couple hundred each in regular consistent intervals without delay so at least for now at current production levels it seems they're keeping single sales close to the vest. And I would assume when a builder calls and says X number of units are needed for their next run that Wilkinson makes them available to the builder first before single unit sales.

Last edited:

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks. And oddly enough, the guitar I dropped it into looks disturbingly like your signature guitar (lol).

I feel like I got lucky and stumbled onto my bridge on Reverb. Another scan through Reverb, Ebay, Amazon.. zilch, nada. Are these things truly as impossible to come by as it seems?
It's demand and Covid causing the issues. John pointed out earlier that many businesses wish they could sell more products as demand during these times has gone up since people are spending much more time at home for practice I suppose. Good choice on the guitar type, lol....That's my newest edition you pointed out. It's a custom Suhr JM and man it's just wonderful like all my Suhr guitars. That man has brought me so much happiness with killer instruments and gear! Rock on!

GitGeek

Legendary Member
Gold Supporting Member
It's demand and Covid causing the issues.
Again, I'm not so sure about that.

I can buy a bunch of different Wilkinson bridges today, with overnight delivery if I choose, and from a bunch of different e-tailers. Even obscure ones I've never heard of or done business with.

Try that with these saddles and/or bridge. Other than known builders and single unit direct sales I'd say they are keeping it close to the vest for a reason. Possibly a patent?

CaliCaveMan

Gold Supporting Member
Again, I'm not so sure about that.

I can buy a bunch of different Wilkinson bridges today, with overnight delivery if I choose, and from a bunch of different e-tailers. Even obscure ones I've never heard of or done business with.

Try that with these saddles and/or bridge. Other than known builders and single unit direct sales I'd say they are keeping it close to the vest for a reason. Possibly a patent?
Well, I have spoken to the owners personally, so take that for what it’s worth. The world is having issues meeting demands for things in various areas. Hope the vaccines do their thing quickly.

xmd5a

They need to invent a locking nut that fits in a standard nut cut. That's where tuning issues come from.

rockon1

They need to invent a locking nut that fits in a standard nut cut. That's where tuning issues come from.
But then youre back to square one and need fine tuners. Honestly my bullet squier strat with its original cheap bridge is amazingly stable even with aggressive trem use. staggered locking tuners, string tree removal and a properly cut nut is all thats needed. No special bridge, saddles or anything else needed.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom