• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Wilkinson Locking Saddles Now Available

xmd5a

My results beg to differ. No locking nut, and with this locking saddle bridge, no tuning issues.
Tuning issues are caused by hysteresis, or difference in tension across the break angles. The space between the ball end and the saddle is maybe half of an inch, but the distance between the nut and tuner is up to several inches, which is why the nut is more significant. You have your particular experience, but that's the physics.

xmd5a

But then youre back to square one and need fine tuners. Honestly my bullet squier strat with its original cheap bridge is amazingly stable even with aggressive trem use. staggered locking tuners, string tree removal and a properly cut nut is all thats needed. No special bridge, saddles or anything else needed.
Maybe they can allow the locks to loosen by hand, like a leverage capo, you could unlock to tune, re-lock after tuning. I'm sure it can be done, I've seen more impressive inventions.

waygorked

That's a patent issue right there. For sure Floyd Rose owns the patent on locking nuts, otherwise there would be dozens of better solutions by now.

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
I've been doing that for hours at a time, for three days straight now, without tuning once (lol)
No doubt they are nice saddles. I like the look of them. The guitar in the vid has the stock squier bridge on it. I went out of my way to figure out where the biggest stability issue was. The issues at the head stock have proven to be the problem- so much so that even the cheapest 6 point squier trem is now very stable,lol.

waygorked

Maybe they can allow the locks to loosen by hand, like a leverage capo, you could unlock to tune, re-lock after tuning. I'm sure it can be done, I've seen more impressive inventions.
No doubt they are nice saddles. I like the look of them. The guitar in the vid has the stock squier bridge on it. I went out of my way to figure out where the biggest stability issue was. The issues at the head stock have proven to be the problem- so much so that even the cheapest 6 point squier trem is now very stable,lol.
Glad it's working out for you. Tuning issues with a Strat trem are the bane of all of our existences. If you find something that works, don't question it, run with it.

xmd5a

Proof is in the puddin...

That's impressive, but again, I'm just going by the physics. There have been attempts to address the nut, such as Floyd Rose locking nuts and ball bearing nuts. Even if you believe the locking saddles help, by that same rational, the nut would have to be a bigger problem, there's more string past the nut, and a shallower break angle across the nut.

You might have a really well cut nut, or something else going on. The channels alone in the saddles are an improvement, as the flat vintage style can allow the strings to slip around. The angle that the string arcs over the saddle could be important too.

hippieboy

As far as I know, from what I read the main problem (by far) comes from the saddles, not the nut. There's a reason why there's no succesful locking nuts without locking saddles. However, locking saddles without locking nuts seem to work wonderful!

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
John Suhr did an experiment before coming up with the idea, he put a locking nut on a strat with a traditional bridge, and mainly the low E and G goes out of tune due to them shifting over the saddles.
Correct me if I'm wrong @Husky

walterw

had one of those a long time ago.

worked OK but really fiddly. you had to adjust that screw by minute amounts every time to line up the clamp just right, otherwise that lever would either not close at all or would lay all the way down without properly clamping the string.

ultimately just using the stupid allen wrench on a floyd nut was faster and easier

superhooker

I've gone back and forth twice swapping the stock saddles for these wilkinson saddles.

My conclusions:
They make the guitar stay in tune way better
They sound good, fuller than stock gotoh saddles, there's an increase in bass response and a little louder. Stock are twangier ans sound thinner/smaller.
Very very slight feel of wider string spacing, havent taken measurements.
Trem action is good, if anything a little stiffer than stock.
Setting string action height is a pain in the ass.
My right hand palm likes the feel of the wilkies better.

Last edited:

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
I have locking nuts not needing any tools on a couple guitars, works perfectly.

rockon1

that's half the equation

from that point (bar dipped, guitar still in tune) either pull up hard or bend all the strings hard and then check tuning

Lol, its good! Im amazed how stable a $10 Squier bridge can be really.

83stratman

Sounds like you are describing a Fender System II lock. Circa 1986.

cetta

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. These saddles look interesting to me, the only problem I have is that I have the old 7 string strat and I hope that they are willing to sell a pack of 7 instead of buying two packs of 6. I am thinking to start using trem and to learn more and to improve stability a little bit.

I have read through the whole thread and I see few people had string breakage issues. Maybe you can reuse the string you break if they are fairly new, as saddles are locking, you can lock down string if the locking mechanism can hold string without ball end.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom