Wilkinson tremolo problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Soulman, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Soulman

Soulman Member

I've already sold a VS100 because of this and I have just bought a new Wilkinson WVS tremolo that is doing the same thing!:mad:

The bridge is well grounded like any Fender type tremolo, but if I touch the the tremolo arm without holding the strings with my other hand, I hear: "crack-crackle-crack-crackle"
    you get my drift?

It's a really great sounding tremolo bridge and I would like to keep it, but this crackling is driving me nuts...

YES, I do like to strike a harmonic and wiggle the bar...that's what Strats are for. :p

Help.:worried

Here's the bridge:

http://www.jhs.co.uk/Wilkinson/WVS.jpg

2. Chadley

Chadley Member

I have the same problem and just thought it was my shoddy wiring. Maybe not.

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Try putting a small spring inside the hole before putting the arm in.

4. Soulman

Soulman Member

It's a push-in arm.
    Is it safe to put a spring in there?

5. Soulman

Soulman Member

OK...I put a Fender tremolo spring inside the trem arm hole...it still crackles. :eek:

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

The arm itself does not go to ground because of the nylon bushing in the arm mount isolationg it to a degree from the bridge plate.

7. Soulman

Soulman Member

That sounds very logical, thanks jabguit!

What would be the solution?:confused:

8. Soulman

Soulman Member

9. KLB

KLB Member

The trem arm might be making intermittent contact with the metal bridge plate as you use the trem.

You could connect the trem arm to the saddle via a short wire connected to the 1st string saddle screw, perhaps with an alligator clip for the trem end. For this to work, you will have to continuously touch the metal part of the trem arm (do you do this now?) You may have to remove the plastic tip, and optionally cut off the knurled section at the end of the bar (smooth/round where you cut it.)

I have one of these new trems and really like it. I'm not having the problem you describe. Perhaps the arm/hole on mine has less play in it?

- Ken

10. Soulman

Soulman Member

Hi Ken,

I don't have a plastic tip at the end of the bar...it's like a Floyd bar.

I was thinking about grounding the bar in some way...I just couldn't think of a practical way of doing so.

The bar is pretty tightly fitted I can't feel any "play" at all.

I'm confused and pretty p***ed off at this point.:puh

I might be just getting a Gotoh bridge with a screw-in arm and never use a Wilkinson bridge again.:(

11. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The spring was the solution for me. Check it with a meter to make sure it's conductive. Make sure it's long enough to reach the bottom of the hole. If the bushing covers the bottom of the hole, remove it with a drill bit the same diameter as the hole or smaller, so you don't damage the sides.