Wilkinson v. LSR?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mbratch, Feb 14, 2006.

1. mbratch

mbratch Member

Anyone here used both of these at one time or other? What's your take on pros and cons, or what's your preference and why?

My Strat has the Wilkinsons. I like them for the most part. Always had good tone and resonance. The only thing I found limiting was I couldn't fit bigger than a .046 in the low E position. I haven't tried the LSRs and have occasionally thought about changing to them.

2. mbratch

mbratch Member

3. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

What are you talking about exactly?

4. mbratch

mbratch Member

Two different brands/technologies for roller-nuts on Strats. Sorry, I thought it was clear what these were, at least for those who have used them.

5. Jhigley

Jhigley Supporting Member

I've had both and still have one with a Wilkinson. I use 9-42's so it wasn't much of an issue. I did think at the time the one with the LSR sounded a little
    better but I don't think that had anything to do with the nut. Also string changes were slightly easier with the LSR. YMMV

Jeff

6. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I have 2 Strat Pluses and I fight to get 11-49s on them...but then again, I never play the guitars, they just sit in the closet collecting dust (well the cases collect dust the guitars are in fine shape on the inside). :) I do want to get a Stratocaster Plus with an LSR and Gold Laces in it.

7. mbratch

mbratch Member

Yeah, sounds like you use the same set I do. I think they just barely fit (the specs on the strat indicate maximum string sizes that match all the strings in the .011 XL set from D'Addario, which I think are 11 to 49).

You can retrofit the LSR in place of the Wilkinson. At least a luthier has told me that it's straightforward. Although you can put bigger strings on an LSR, I was concerned about how securely it established the node at the nut. The Wilkinson has this over-then-under cylindrical bearing sort of arrangement that does a good job holding the strings down and forming a nice end-point for the vibrating string. The LSRs look to me like the string rests in a location perhaps a little less securely, but it's hard to tell just looking at it. So I was hoping to hear other peoples' experiences.

What kind of pickups do you have in them now if they're not the Gold LS? If you're looking for Gold LS, you might consider the Hot Gold LS.

8. mbratch

mbratch Member

Anyone with additional thoughts?

9. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

I replaced the Wilkinson nut on my ’91 Strat about six months ago with a LSR that I got from Fender. It’s not too bad. I didn’t have any problems with tone and the ‘Wilk I just didn’t like that you couldn’t pull the string clear of the nut when it breaks. When you’re playing live, if you break a string it sure is nice to get the darn thing off the guitar after it’s gone and the double rollers of the ‘Wilk just didn’t allow for that, the LSR does. I haven’t noticed any tone differences between them.

Appearance-wise, neither really float my boat. Fender supplies a shim for the LSR nut when you replace the ‘Wilk and the shim is black and I sticks out like a sore thumb which is a tad annoying. Some day I would like to get a nice bone nut but for now I think the LSR is nicer than the ‘Wilk only because of the string issue.

Steve

10. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

One last thing....You have to fill the 'Wilk screw holes because the LSR doesn't mount in the same spot. And they give you a few smaller shims to level the LSR with that are pretty small and can be a tad of a hassle to install. Gotta get the screws, the nut, the filler shims and the leveling shims all in the right spot then tighten them all done.

11. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

So, did you find that these allowed the strings to return to pitch better than graphite or tusq?

HJ

12. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Never played graphite or tusq. Can't help out any, sorry. The 'Wilk nut did work well for keeping the guitar in tune after using the old "Whammy Bar". For all of the four times I think I actually "whammied" it. Haven't tried the bar with the LSR.