1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Wilkinson Vintage Trem Arm Issue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rrhea, Feb 12, 2008.

1. rrhea

rrhea Member

Hello all,

I have a newly acquired Tyler with a 6 point Wilky on it (the one with the intonation thumbscrew) and I am having a little trouble with the push in trem arm. Seems like it is able to go in so deep it becomes unusable because of the volume and switch getting in the way.

I tightened the set screw in the back and I pull the bar out to taste, but it keeps slipping back in deeper and deeper as I use it. Eventually I have pull it back out again a little bit to keep it from hitting the controls. Do I have the right bar?

I really hope this bridge was not designed this way on purpose for some silly reason.

Thanks for any help!

RR

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Sorry that is the way it is .
    You can cut a bit of stainless bare the same size ad stick it in the base to fix this but be careful to get the size right first.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

If you have a vise, try bend the arm upward for more angle.

4. rrhea

rrhea Member

Thanks for the info, guys! I think I'll try the bend trick for now. That will help some, for sure.

What a strange design. I see what he was going for in having the bar height adjustable without screw threads, but with it being smooth like that of course it is going to sink further and further into the tremolo with use. Pretty annoying.

A simple solution would have been a small set screw in the inertia block right under the arm cavity that could have been used to set the overall depth of the cavity to begin with.

RR

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I just find a stout spring and cut a length of it to the right height - that fixed it for me.

6. rrhea

rrhea Member

That's a great idea. I suppose one could dab a small bit of grease on the end of the spring to keep it in the hole when the bar is out.

Cool! Thanks, Mike.

RR

7. rrhea

rrhea Member

I dropped in the small spring that goes in a threaded Strat arm holder today and it worked perfectly. Just the right height.

RR