Wilkinson VS100 setup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by MK50H, May 13, 2006.

1. MK50H

MK50H Member

I've had a Wilkinson VS100 in my Warmoth Strat for a few years. It is great, but I'd like to be able to "pull up" a little more. (maybe too much playing with a Floyd is getting me a little carried away :))

Mine is currently set so that it is parallel with the top of the body. I guess this is correct & normal. Will it be stable & function if I set it up different?

2. K-man

K-man Member

You can raise the studs to lift the bridge off the body. You'll only be able to raise it so far until your action gets too high.

3. MK50H

MK50H Member

K-Man

Thanks for the help. Although, it was actually the angle that I was thinking of changing.

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

If the goal is having the trem set closer to the body, tighten the springs holding the trem claw in place. Doing so will make the action stiffer and lower over the upper frets. You might consider making measured turns of the screws so you can get back to the original settings if need be. Lowering or raising the action by any means usually requires that the intonation be set.

5. K-man

K-man Member

I wouldn't think it would make a difference. I know the vintage fender tremelo's are usually set up at an angle, with the back of the bridge an 1/8" above the guitar body. I think you can try it at whatever angle you want, and it would be OK as long as you can get your action where you want it and the intonation is correct.

6. MK50H

MK50H Member

Thanks for the help guys. It turns out that my bridge wasn't level, so it was "bottoming out" early.

I have now set it with a little forward angle, the height at the back is just over an 1/8". It is just lovely! :)