Will a 2x12 w/Greenbacks get close to the magic of 4x12 w/Greenbacks?

jimmyohio75

Lots of people have mentioned that a 4x12 cab with Greenbacks provides a 'glorious" sound. Especially with Marshall style amps.
Will a 2x12 with 2 Greenies get me close?

Will there be a fear of "farting out" at higher volumes with a 40+ watt amp?

studiodunn

Platinum Supporting Member
No IMO. I've found that with Greenbacks they really need a quad in bigger volume cabs to have the magic sound and feel. In a 2x12 I've always needed to mix the 12M with another speaker to sound as big.

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked up a 4x12 with greenbacks from a guy here on TGP and it just roars. I never had a 2x12 with Greenbacks, but I have one with a V30 and a g12m70. I use a 50w Blankenship Variplex. The 2x12 hurt my ears at higher volumes, the 4x12 I can crank and it just gets better with volume. Nice and spongy and with the voltage turned down to around 90v, I get some great sag that comes on and sustains forever. I don't think a 2x12 will fart out with greenbacks (assuming 50 watt max head), but you will miss some of the lows that the larger cab helps accentuate. Good luck!

Earplayer

there is something magical happening in a 4x12 cab. a 4x12 with g12ms is worth all the pain and hassle i guess. after playing different cabs today i think that a 4x12 with g12ms is probably my favourite cab. :Devil

scott1568

What about 2 Greenbacks in a vented cab like Port City? I assume you might loose low end "tightness" but would the thump be there?

I'm interested in this question too, since I drive a Mustang and gigging with a 4x12 is not feasible.

oneleftnut

I have green berets in a port city 2x12 os. To my ears it's huge. I'm using a Dr Z Remedy (Plexi style). I'd love to do a side by side with a 4x12 to see.

Jan

I have not seen inside a Port City but I understand it has some directional baffles?

The Dr Z Z Best can be loosely called a Theile Ported 2 x 12. I have one (Z Best), and I have studied Neville Thiele's and Richard Small's work; and have built quite a few boxes around D.B. Keele's designs. Hence my use of the term, "loosely". The Dr Z cabinet is one of remarkable quality.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Heh, nope. Just invest in a good 4-12 and throw some good Greenies in it.

Leftyman

Platinum Supporting Member
It is never going to sounds as good as a 4X12. Companies have been trying to make a 2X12 that rivals a 4X12 for years and I just don't think it is possible. However, that doesn't mean you can't get in the ballpark. Has a lot to do with the type and size of the cabinet.

jimmyohio75

It is never going to sounds as good as a 4X12. Companies have been trying to make a 2X12 that rivals a 4X12 for years and I just don't think it is possible. However, that doesn't mean you can't get in the ballpark. Has a lot to do with the type and size of the cabinet.
I have an Avatar Vintage 1x12 cab and it sounds every bit as big as some 2x12 cabs I have played. Maybe the 2x12 Vintage cab will compete with a 4x12?

sickboy79

No IMO. I've found that with Greenbacks they really need a quad in bigger volume cabs to have the magic sound and feel. In a 2x12 I've always needed to mix the 12M with another speaker to sound as big.
Agree. A 2x12 GB loaded cab is awesome but, there is nothing like a 4x12.

scott1568

screw it, (don't mean to HiJack), but I 'm gonna try 2x12" Scumback's in a ported cab I think - see how she goes.....

psychodave

Nope. Never. It is impossible to get two speakers sound like, or as good as four. If there were a 2x12 that could replace a 4x12 I would get rid of the ten 4x12's I currently own :rotflmao

countandduke

My ears still have yet to hear a 4x12 with some nice greenbacks (yeah I know...!!!) but I just don't think 2 speakers will sound like 4. Here's a question though, in terms of ease of portability, would 2 2x12 cabinets sound closer to a 4x12 cabinet? I would think it would and one could even separate the cabs for a little more dispersion...

I think a 4x12 cabinet just has a certain resonance and "feel" that makes it sound a certain way. Not better or worse than anything else, 4x12's just sound like 4 12's...

Hope that makes sense...

Chris

Trending Topics