will a 50w head into 4x30w speakers sound same as 100w into 4x65w speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tonecap, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

I've heard it said that lower wattage speakers sound different. Is this due to different construction or simply how they are being pushed. For example, a 50w marshall head into a 4x12 cab with G12h-30's has a head to cab wattage ratio of 41%. A 100w head into a 4x12 with 65w g12h's has a ratio of 38%. Being fairly close in ratio's does that mean the speakers would sound about the same?

2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

No, that is totaly unrelated, I'm affraid. You have roughly the same headroom in the speakers so possibly will be roughly as lively. But that's the only similarity.

A 100W amp has more headroom, bass and depth - and sound louder/ larger - and higher W coils make the speakers sound smoother and possibly a bit larger. 2 cabs of G12H30s and a 100W amp will be more similar. Then I'm unsure as to the type of G12H30 that would have 65W coils. :S Is that in reference to a clone?

3. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

yeah, for example sake lets just take any modern clone

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Different skeakers sound different. As long as the power handling of the speakers is good for the the wattage amp being used, I wouldn't be too concerned about ratios and whatnot. Different speakers sound different, is what it boils down to.

5. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

That essentially what I meant by the ratio's. head/cab handling wattage. 50w/120w = 41% 100w/260= 38%

So the handling wattage would be taken care of, just a quesiton of tonal differences.

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Yes, make sure your speakers (and your skeakers) can handle the wattage of the amp. Everything else after that is subjective as to what sounds "best' to you.

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Power handling doesn't tell you anything about the tone.

8. Tonecap

Tonecap Member

Ha! skeakers. That's another one of those tricks of the pro's isn't it! :)