Will a deluxe reverb get drowned out by a drummer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by satisphied, Apr 9, 2015.

1. satisphied

satisphied Member

unmic'd dr and unmic'd drummer

lets say the drummer is retarded animal gonzo loud?

I almost want to go ahead and get the twin and a power attenuator, but i love dr's too..

2. Zen Guitar

Zen Guitar Member

Yes, definitely, in my experience. You will run out of clean headroom long before that point as well, if that is part of what you like about that amp.

I would recommend a Super Reverb, instead. For me, this is the perfect Blackface Fender in terms of enough power and projection, while still being able to push it to sing, if desired. I tend to set mine around 6, where it starts to break-up with a Strat, and step on a TS808 to push it into overdrive, or roll back the guitar volume just a touch for great clean-up.

A Twin is a good amp if you are interested in mainly clean tones with pedals supplying any dirt.

Another suggestion would be a Mesa/Boogie Lone Star 2x12 or 4x10... Plenty of power, Fendery cleans, and great solo tones without ever sounding thin.

3. satisphied

satisphied Member

I like the dr because it breaks up at a 'sweet spot'. not too worried about having clean headroom, I don't play any music that absolutely requires clean tones, especially when we're playing at high volumes (when we would be jammingout).

Im just torn between picking up this new 68 drri tomorrow for 900 or bidding on an old silverface bassman or deluxe of some sort.

i keep reading 'i don't understand why people buy these reiussue's when you can buy real vintage for the same price'. which is true, there is a 69 bassman with a 1983 fender cab auction ending tomorrow for under 700. Im just the type of person that doesn't want to work on amps, or worry about having to pay to recap and refurbish the things so often. If the tone is really that different then I may say otherwise.. Ill just never know

they don't have 69 bassman's in any stores around here. oh well if I do get the drri I don't think ill have a problem selling it for a minimal loss if I have to

4. ballynally

ballynally Member

The obvious answer is: don't play with that type of drummer. But ok, let's say you have to. The DR will then probably not cut it. Pity cause it sounds great. But you don't have to go Twin. A 40 w will do nicely.Then comes the main q:do you want to be able to pick it up and carry it up and down stairs? If yes, a Fender Super won't do either (4 speakers)but a Vibroverb/vibrolux will, or a Marshall bluesbreaker.
    All combos. You could go head&cab if you go 50w+. What style of music is also an issue. If metal you might look for a Peavey type amp.

Oh, never buy an old unseen amp. You don't know what's inside. Don't be tempted by the price. have somebody in the know have a look inside.And try it out.It might still break down after a while.
    Nothing wrong with the DRRI. Silverface can be nice but i wouldn't say it's ahead of a DRRI. I think you've answered your own question. However, step away from the vehicle and give it some thought. Don't jump, bro!

5. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I would think it would be OK. Maybe not super clean when cranked though . . .

You could try a Mesa Lone Star, very much a DR type of clean tone, but with 100 watt headroom. And you can switch the lead channel down to 50 or 25 watts for power tube saturation. Great amp.

6. jota

jota Member

I think it depends on the room.
    My Deluxe can keep up pretty good in my place but at drummer's practice space it just can't!
    Mine has foam for sound control on the walls while his has styrofoam all around the walls and it's a pain to play inside!

7. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

You'll be ok with a '68 Custom even a DRRI with the right speaker (Cannabis Rex). The only time you'll have problem is if you ever do an outdoor gig.

But I do agree, if you can find for the same $ a nice silver face, buy that instead. Good luck.

8. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

In my experience, a DR doesn't have enough volume on it's own in a loud rock band setting. With a loud drummer and a second guitar player, the DR gets totally lost in the mix. I always hated this, but it's fact. The better alternative would be a Pro-Reverb. Good SF Pro-Reverbs can still be found for $1000 or slightly more. They are work-horses with great tone.

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

What's stopping you from using a mic?

10. zenas

zenas Member

One of the drummers I played with in the early '80s was so freaking loud I had to borrow a guys late Silverface Pro Reverb. Probably the 70 watt UL but IDK for sure. I'd have it cranked up way past clean but we were all in high school so that worked.

I wouldn't play with that moron today or one like him. And I do use a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton Reverd today with drummers. I'd rather use a Super or Twin but they're heavy so they stay home.

11. ledzep618

ledzep618 Member

Do you need pristine clean? If yes, then a DR will be drowned out by even a mild drummer...they're really not loud at all before it starts to break up and the cleans get hairy. 4.5-5 with a Strat, 3.5-4 with humbuckers.

If you want to crank that sucker up to 8 and let it rip then yeah you'll be fine even with an aggressive drummer. I've played medium rooms unmiced with a fairly heavy handed drummer with a DRRI on 6, hitting it with a tubescreamer for dirt and wasn't drowned out at all.

12. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

Lot of variables but if you dont want to play spanky clean then it will work. I played outdoors(block party,not arena) :) unmic'd and was fine.

13. e???

e??? Member

Gonzo loud; no way. Jazz loud with brushes, yeah. In between those two you won't have much bass and you'll get distorted. Twins are beautiful things. Just have someone help you move the bastard. Or a Vibrolux is another pretty good option

14. Faded

Faded Supporting Member

Yes a Deluxe Reverb unmic'd with a loud drummer will be stupidly under powered for anything but Jazz.

15. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

Unless you play hard rock/metal,a deluxe is more than enough for any situation.My princeton on 3 is plenty loud unmiced for most places.

16. MVrider

MVrider Member

+1

If a DR isn't loud enough just get a good drummer. :)

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

My Paul Rivera modded DLR can.

18. The Funk

The Funk Member

I'd replace the drummer before the amp....

19. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

With re-amping options now available (BadCat Unleash, Fryette Power Station) there is no need to buy a bigger amp if you like a DR or PR and live in it's sweet spot. Just get a speaker that can handle the power and adjust the output of the re-amping device to the needed stage volume. From very quiet to very loud you keep your amp's tone and feel intact.

20. ledzep618

ledzep618 Member

I'll take the contrary and say that with all the incredible options like the Power Station, Torpedo Reload, Mesa Cab Clone, etc there is no reason to get an amp smaller than a 100 watt Marshall ;)